Archive for the 'Play Index' Category
Posted by Mike Lynch on September 10, 2015
The Play Index
is the name we use to refer to PFR's collection of top-notch research tools. Read below for more information on some of the applications we have made available to you.
Search all plays from 1994 to today to find performances that match your criteria. Answer questions like…
Player Season Finder
Search through player season stats spanning from 1920 to today for single seasons or combined seasons that match your criteria. Answer questions like…
The answers to these questions and many, many more are at your fingertips using the Player Season Finder.
Player Game Finder
Search through player game logs spanning from 1960 to today for games that match your criteria. You can find…
With the Player Game Finder, the possibilities are almost endless.
Player Comparison Tool
Select up to six offensive skill position players to compare single season stats, career stats, or a span of years. Compare…
Trade Finder Tool
Find NFL trades from 1994 to now, by team, draft round, draft pick, player position and more. Find…
Player Touchdown Finder
Search through every touchdown scored from 1920 to today for scores that match your criteria. Did you know…
Impress your friends and come up with your own "Did You Know" with a little help from the Player Touchdown Finder.
Team Game Finder
Find team games or seasons matching certain criteria. Did you know…
Player Streak Finder
Find the longest player streaks matching certain criteria. Did you know...
Team Streak Finder
Find the longest team streaks matching certain criteria. Did you know...
Super Bowl Play Finder
Search through every play in Super Bowl History.
Search through every NFL and AFL draft pick.
Find head-to-head results and also find games matching a particular score.
2 Comments |
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, Play Index, Pro-Football-Reference.com
Posted by Mike Lynch on September 9, 2015
With the 2015 NFL season kicking off this week, we thought we'd visit some storylines for this season as a way of introducing some of the research tools you can find on Pro-Football-Reference.com. Follow the hyperlinked historical notes to the queries on our site and see if you can re-create them. If you're wondering about how we did anything, just ask us!
Quarterbacks Chasing History
- Last season, Manning broke Brett Favre's record for career TD passes. In 2015, the future Hall of Famer needs just 2,148 yards to break Favre's career record for passing yardage. Manning has thrown for over 3,500 yards in every season in which he's played a game. In fact, last season he surpassed 2,148 yards by the eighth game of the season.
- Additionally, with 374 completions, Manning can break Favre's all-time record in that category. That race could come down to the wire, as Manning has averaged 370 completions per season in the 16 years in which he's taken the field.
- Another Favre record that Manning will take aim at this season is the all-time record for wins as a starting QB. Favre currently claims that record with 186, but Manning enters 2015 with 179 (in 42 fewer starts).
Adrian Peterson Returns
It's been a year since Peterson last took the field in a 34-6 Week 1 win over the Rams last season. Few fans will be rooting for Peterson in 2015, but he'll likely continue to climb the record books.
Throwing the football has never been more popular, and it has probably never been easier. Go ahead and check this list of the players with most receiving yards per game in NFL history. That right, the top five are all active players (or at least kind of active in the case of Josh Gordon). And this doesn't even include players like Odell Beckham, Jr. who don't yet have enough games played to qualify.
The Patriots posted their 12th straight double-digit win season in 2014. That's the 2nd-longest such streak in NFL history. Only the 49ers (from 1983-98) have posted a longer streak. If head coach Bill Belichick can get his team to repeat, he could become the first head coach to win five Super Bowls.
New Extra Point Rules
If you send your kicking team out for extra points, you'll now have to snap the ball from the 15, rather than 2. Curious how this impacts strategy? Check out our Game Player Finder to find all FGAs with the LOS at the 15 over the last 5 seasons. You can also use this tool to search for 2-point conversion tries over the same span. Which approach is the better bet?
Track History All Season Long
Bookmark our NFL Milestone Watch page and check every week for which records might fall.
Comments Off on 2015 NFL Storylines |
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, History, Play Index, Pro-Football-Reference.com
Posted by Mike Lynch on September 3, 2015
With the 2015 college football season upon us, just a few reminders on where to find info for this season:
- The full 2015 FBS schedule can be found here. This page also contains links to game previews, which will turn into box scores as the games are completed.
- Individual school schedules are available on that school's season page, which is accessible from this index. These pages will also track team/player statistics and contain links to box scores and previews. We also display an injury report for injuries and suspensions that will appear at the top of the team pages.
- If you'd just like to see box scores for a given day, they are available here.
- Any information on the 2015 season can be accessed from the Season Summary page. This page features a comparison of the conferences, an AP Poll summary and also national statistical leaders. Furthermore, this page provides navigation to standings, ratings and every AP Poll (and CFB Playoff standings once they begin their release). You can also access a larger selection of national statistical leaders.
- For deeper dives into our statistical offerings, we recommend utilizing our Play Index. This is a series of tools offering unique access to our database, which allows users to create custom leaderboards. For instance, the most TD passes in a game since 2000 or the most games in a season with 4+ TD passes since 2000, which can be found via the Player Game Finder. The School Game Finder can tell you things like the most bowl wins since 2000 or most points in a conference championship game since 2000. The School Streak Finder can give you the longest losing streaks in major bowl games since 1869 or the most consecutive 40-point games. Finally, the Rivalry Finder will provide you with a detailed series history between any two schools you choose.
If you have any questions about where to find something or if you encounter any issues, please let us know here.
Comments Off on Find 2015 College Football Stats |
Posted in Announcement, CFB at Sports Reference, Data, Features, Play Index
Posted by Mike Lynch on August 3, 2015
Last year we rolled out many new play-by-play based statistics and features to player pages on Hockey-Reference. A Team Advanced Stats Finder was created to allow users to sort through team-level statistics. We're now thrilled to announce a player stat companion to this: The Player Advanced Stats Finder.
This tool works like the others in our Play Index, allowing users to create custom queries back to 2007-08 by using the below search form:
As you can see, the tool allows for single-season search, combined season search or total season search. Additionally, there are several filters and criteria that can be applied to your search, as well as several different "sort by" options for your report. To give you a better idea of what the tool is capable, let's fire it up and show you some sample searches:
Of course, these are just a few quick examples. Some other statistics in a variety of situations that are now searchable/sortable are Fenwick, PDO, blocks, offensive/defensive zone start % and many more. We encourage you to play around with this new tool and let us know what you think!
And if you're confused about what any of these statistics mean, don't forget to check out our updated glossary!
1 Comment |
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, Hockey-Reference.com, Play Index
Posted by Mike Lynch on June 19, 2015
We're excited to introduce a couple of fantastic enhancements to the Hockey Reference Player Game Finder. This tool allows you to search through game-level player stats for every NHL game since 1987-88.
The huge addition is the option to search by cumulative games, which allows you to search for statistics over a specific span of games. Use this option by selecting "Search for Cumulative Games" in the yellow section directly below "Search Form." This tool opens up capabilities to do informative searches never before possible on Hockey Reference. Here are some examples to give you the gist:
You'll also notice that we've added an option to search for games on a player's birthday. So you can now search for things like birthday Hat Tricks.
Or you can even combine these new features and find the players with the most career birthday goals or the most career playoff birthday goals.
2 Comments |
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, Hockey-Reference.com, Play Index
Posted by Mike Lynch on June 18, 2015
With the NBA Draft a week away, we wanted to briefly introduce some subtle, but useful additions to the Play Index.
First up, is a tweak to the Player Season Finder, which now allows for customized statistical searches by player draft year. You'll notice there's now a filter for BAA/NBA Draft Year. Utilizing this, you can now search for things such as:
Additionally, we have made some enhancements to the Draft Finder. The biggest change is that you can now filter by the draftees' NBA/BAA position (please note that we don't have positions in the DB for many drafted players who never went on to play in the league). But, for instance, here are centers drafted in 2014. Additionally, you'll notice that player ages on draft day and birth country now display in the results. Again, this data is unavailable for many players who never played in the league.
We hope you find these new tools useful.
1 Comment |
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Data, Draft, History, Play Index
Posted by Mike Lynch on June 18, 2015
With the 2015 NHL Draft coming up on June 26 & 27, we're happy to introduce a new tool to the Hockey Reference Play Index: The Draft Finder. Fans of our sites will find that this tool is similar to the ones found on Basketball Reference & Pro Football Reference.
With this tool, users can search through every NHL draft pick since 1963, utilizing a variety of filters and sorts. Users can set a custom range of years and specify things like position, team, birth country, round of selection, overall pick number and whether or not the player selected went on to play in the NHL.
Additionally, users can apply filters for what amateur program a player came from (whether this was the amateur team he was with at the time of the draft, or after the draft).
Here's a few sample searches for concrete examples of what the Draft Finder can do. However, you'll find this is merely the tip of the iceberg and we'd love it if you explore the options and let us know what you think.
We hope you enjoy this new feature.
Comments Off on Introducing the NHL Draft Finder |
Posted in Announcement, Data, Draft, Features, History, Hockey-Reference.com, Play Index
Posted by Mike Lynch on June 4, 2015
With the NBA Finals (finally) tipping off tonight, we just wanted to quickly link to some of the NBA Finals data & tools we have on the site.
- For a full list of NBA Champions, Finals MVPs & annual top playoff performers click here.
- For greater detail on the performance of Finals MVPs, check out this list. LeBron James is 1 of just 10 players with multiple NBA Finals MVPs. Only Jordan, Duncan, Magic & Shaq have more than 2.
- For a full list of every Playoff series in NBA history click here. You can also click on any series on that list to see a cumulative box score for that series, with links to every game. Here is the 2014 NBA Finals, for instance.
- If counting "ringz" is your thing, check out our list of the players with the most championships. As you can see, LeBron James has a chance to match another all-time great SF, Larry Bird, with 3 titles.
- Additionally, you can use our Play Index to run searches specifically for NBA Finals games. In the Team Game Finder or Player Game Finder, just set the game type filter to Playoffs and the round filter to Finals like in the image:
We hope you find these tools useful as you enjoy the 2015 NBA Finals.
3 Comments |
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Data, Features, History, Play Index, Playoffs
Posted by Hans Van Slooten on May 14, 2015
We've extended the Daily Fantasy Points to the Play Index Game Finders as well as adding a chart to the player pages showing their DFS points over the current season. These statistics are located towards the far right of the table. DFS (DK) stands for DraftKings points, while DFS (FD) stands for FanDuel points.
We'd also like to take this opportunity to remind our users that a $15 deposit on a new DraftKings account through this link will come with a free year of Play Index access (normally $36/yr). More details on this offer can be found here.
We hope daily fantasy players enjoy this new feature and would love to hear about any other features you would like to see.
6 Comments |
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Play Index
Posted by Mike Lynch on April 21, 2015
We're excited to announce that we have a released an NFL Draft app on the Google Play store and Apple's App Store: the PFR Draft Machine. For users familiar with our Play Index Draft Finder tool, this brand new app will bring those same unique functions (and more) to your mobile devices.
Download this app now to find out who's picking where in 2015, the best pick at that position in the history of the draft, and the average performance of picks at that position. This app also allows users to make customized queries across every NFL draft pick in history, with filters such as year, team, college, position, round, etc. The only limits to your queries are your own imagination. This is the only app to bring the power of the Pro Football Reference Play Index to your mobile device.
And best of all, we're offering this app for FREE. So please download it and let us know what you think. We're eager to hear your feedback and apply it to any future mobile apps.
Download this app from the Google Play Store
Download this app from Apple's App Store
We have attached some sample images below:
Comments Off on Introducing the PFR Draft Machine App for Mobile Devices |
Posted in Announcement, Data, Draft, Features, History, Play Index, Pro-Football-Reference.com