21st November 2017
This article assumes a lot of prior knowledge about the discussion of Wins Above Replacement, you can catch up here
- How Baseball-Reference.com calculates WAR and how others do:
WAR-Wins Above Replacement Explanation
WAR-Runs to Wins (this is especially relevant)
Competing WARs Comparison Chart
- My Answer to “I Don’t Like How Complicated WAR Is and How It Is Constantly Changing.” “WAR is Like GDP for Baseball”
- Bill James: Judge and Altuve, and then
Bill James: MVP Followup
Joe Posnanski: More on WAR, following up on Judge and Altuve.
- Dave Cameron's reply to James: Putting WAR in Context: A Response to Bill James
- Jonathan Judge at Baseball Prospectus wrote an excellent piece on variability in WAR: Prospectus Feature: Bill James vs. The Noise
- Bill James and I discuss on twitter what I think is the crux of the matter
- Rany Jazayerli on how WAR should handle luck
First off, none of us are here without Bill James. We are all at our very best merely Chaucer or Joyce to his Shakespeare. All sabermetrics predating him flowed into his work and all sabermetrics after him carries echoes of his work.
To the discussion at hand.
Read the rest of this entry