30th April 2013
In addition to the Gamelogs Sean mentioned adding the other day, we've also added splits tables to the 2013 gamelog pages for minor-league batters and pitchers.
They aren't quite as detailed as the splits you'll find on our major-leaguers' pages, but they do tell you what kind of performances the player has put up vs. opponents of each handedness (platoon), at home/on the road, month-by-month, in clutch situations, and more. We even have a split to see how the player did against opposing batters/pitchers who were younger or older than the player himself, since age is such a huge consideration in the minors.
They're on the same pages as the new gamelogs, so go to a player's minors page and click the link that is just above the player's batting or pitching stats (marked "Gamelog/Splits").
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features | 1 Comment »
30th April 2013
In preparation for the NHL Playoffs dropping the puck tonight, we've added preview pages for each series matchup to the front page. There, you'll find season stats for all the players currently on each team, plus the season series results between the two teams, and various other vitals. Have them open on your computer or print them out while you're watching the games tonight.
Posted in Announcement, Features, Hockey-Reference.com | Comments Off on NHL Playoff Series Previews
30th April 2013
Greg Spira Award Announcement
Anyone who knows of Trent McCotter's work as a member of SABR will not be surprised that his research garnered the first Greg Spira Award. Greg was a dear friend of our site who passed early last year. Baseball-Reference.com is honored that we could co-sponsor an award in his honor.
Posted in Announcement, Awards, Baseball-Reference.com | Comments Off on Trent McCotter wins Inaugural Greg Spira Award
29th April 2013
In anticipation of the NHL playoffs, we've updated the front page for the postseason. In addition, we've added playoff matchup pages for each series, where you can see how two teams stack up against each other at a glance. These pages have listings of how the two teams fared in regular-season meetings this year (plus a link to see how they've played each other all-time) and the current series status.
Posted in Announcement, Hockey-Reference.com | Comments Off on Hockey Playoff Matchups
29th April 2013
Wil Myers 2013 Minor League Gamelogs / Jesse Biddle 2013 Minor League Gamelogs
I have been hoping to add this for awhile, but finally got around to it. We just added minor league gamelogs for the 2013 season. These have many of the same features that our major league gamelogs have. Clicking on two rows allows you to find the sum of any span of games. We also added errors to the output, so you can keep track of what the players are doing defensively as well.
To get there, go to a player page and click the link that is just above the player's batting or pitching stats.
I hope to add a whole lot more on this front, so stay tuned.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com | 2 Comments »
29th April 2013
I have added a section to the site with National Basketball League (NBL) stats. The NBL was a professional basketball league that was founded in 1937 and merged with the Basketball Association of America (BAA) to form the National Basketball Association (NBA) in 1949. Several of the NBL's top players later played in the BAA/NBA, including George Mikan, Al Cervi, and Arnie Risen.
Keep in mind that the statistical record for the NBL was quite limited:
- Games played (G), field goals (FG), free throws (FT), and points (PTS) are available for all players, all seasons.
- Free throw attempts (FTA) are available for some players prior to the 1946-47 season and all players for the 1946-47, 1947-48, and 1949-49 seasons.
At some point I may try to add data from even more professional leagues, but given it's direct link to the NBA I thought the NBL was a good place to start. Please let us know if you have any questions or comments about this new addition to the site.
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com | 9 Comments »
26th April 2013
Trying to keep up with all the activity around the 2013 NFL Draft, we've added draft transactions to the bottom of that page, as well as adding previous years (see 2012 trades and 2011 trades). In addition, I've added team-based trade summaries to each team draft page, through which I have learned that the Broncos briefly held the pick that turned into Doug Martin.
Posted in Announcement, Pro-Football-Reference.com | 1 Comment »
24th April 2013
Just a fun little thing that I produced for an agency today.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Data | 2 Comments »
24th April 2013
We're a month into the season -- it might be time to give the Baseball-Reference Play Index a chance to revolutionize the way you look at baseball stats.
What's the Play Index? It's a set of research tools that allow you to create customizable queries on our database, save the results, and share them with others. Using the PI, you can:
- Search full-season or multi-year totals to find your own custom leaderboards - Look at the entire history of baseball from 1871-2012 with every year, team, and position available, or filter the results in a vast number of ways: by specific years, by age, by first six seasons or last ten seasons, by American League only, by Cubs only, by switch-hitters, by catchers, by outfielder or infielder, by year of debut, but active or retired, by Hall of Famer, by height and weight, by living or deceased, or by a range of common statistical categories. Then sort the results by any common statistic, by the teams with the most players matching that category, by players with the most seasons matching that category, or by most recent, youngest, oldest, final year, or year of debut, and others.
- Search player game totals - Filtering on any of a dozen or more choices, search for games on a single player level, or on any batter from 1916-2012, or on any pitcher. The same can be done for Team Batting or Team Pitching Totals.
- Search player games looking for the most consecutive games matching a particular set of criteria - This can be done either on a single player level or on any batter in the last 97 years or on any pitcher. The same can be done for Team Batting or Team Pitching Streaks.
- Search the records of a specific player - Output a detailed summary and play-by-play list of all events of a specific type from a single year or an entire career. For example, you can see all of Harmon Killebrew's triples or even his outs to the second baseman.
- Search Batter vs. Pitcher Matchups - This tool presents a complete sortable list of batter or pitcher with totals for every opponent they faced by career or by year. Clicking on the player's name will lead you to a detailed output of their head-to-head plate appearances.
- ...And more!
Personal Subscriptions to the Play Index still cost just $36 for a year, $6 for a month, or $2 for 24 hours. Subscriptions may only be used by a single user, and there are discounts for users sponsoring at least $35 in pages.
Organizational Subscriptions can be set up for either an unlimited number of users ($600/year), or for up to five users ($125/year).
There are Two Steps to Subscribe to the Play Index:
- Login to or create a Sports-Reference.com account (the same account used to sponsor pages).
- Already logged in (or just created an account)? Go to our subscription page to sign up.
Our Always-Available Free Trial: Non-subscribers can use the PI's features as much as you like. However, your outputs will be restricted to a limited number of results.
The Play Index comes with a money back guarantee. We will gladly return the unused portion of any Play Index Subscription should you be dissatisfied with the Play Index.
So go ahead, give the Play Index a try -- we're confident that once you start using it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Play Index | Comments Off on Subscribe to the Play Index!
22nd April 2013
2013 Atlantic League Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com.
In our ongoing effort to be as complete as possible, we are now updating Atlantic League stats on a daily basis. So far the Freedom division is thrashing the Liberty Division.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com | 1 Comment »