Sports Reference Blog
Adding Advanced Stats to Pro-Football-Reference for 2018 and 2019
Posted by Mike on September 5, 2019
In a huge addition for 2019, Pro Football Reference will now be bringing you advanced stats provided by Sportradar, the NFL's exclusive distributor for official real-time scores, player statistics and play-by-play data. In addition to the usual stat coverage you've come to expect from us, we're adding:
* Air yards passing and receiving - indicating how far a pass traveled in the air before it was caught.
* Yards after catch - receiving yards minus air yards, how far a receiver ran after catching the ball
* Receiving drops - receptions missed on balls given a reasonable (non-Odell Beckham-level) effort
* Bad throws by QBs - throws that weren't catchable with normal effort
* Times QBs were blitzed - either 5+ players rushed the QB or a DB rushed the QB
* Times QBs were hurried - defined as a situation when the QB is forced to throw the ball earlier than intended or is chased around/out of the pocket as the result of defensive pressure
* Times QBs were hit - occurs when the QB hits the ground after a throw, not marked on a sack play
* Quarterback scrambles and yards on scrambles (vs. designed quarterback runs)
* Yards before and after contact - defined as the number of yards gained after first contact from a defender
* Broken tackles, both rushing and receiving - the number of times that the runner does something significant to get past/through a defender
We've added these stats to the 2018 passing, rushing, and receiving pages, as well as on player pages and team pages and will be updating them on 2019 pages as soon as games start. These stats are provided via game charting and will be fully populated by the Wednesday following completion of the game, if not earlier. Look for more stat additions as the season continues!
Thanks for adding the advanced stats!
[…] the beginning of the 2019 season, Pro Football Reference announced the addition of advanced offensive statistics, provided by Sportradar, the NFL's exclusive distributor for official real-time scores, player […]
Wow this is so helpful, some websites charge so much money for these type of stats!! Thank you so much for all of the great work!!
[…] Reference Blog we posted about the addition of advanced statistics= at the individual level on offense and defense for 2018 and 2019. We've followed up on that addition and also calculated those […]
This is awesome. Will you be incorporating these fields into the play index, ie. highest drop% for receivers with at least 300 targets in 2018 and 2019 combined.
Hi Mark. Thanks for your feedback. That is definitely in our plans
[…] Earlier this season we announced our partnership with Sportradar to bring advanced offensive statist…. We are happy to announce that for the 2019 season and beyond, we have now added additional advanced passing statistics to help provide context and key breakdowns for the quarterbacks around the league. […]