Archive for the 'Advanced Stats' Category
Posted by admin on December 18, 2012
Thanks to the great folks at RetroSheet we are now able to launch box scores and game logs for 1916 and 1917 and additional play-by-play for 1945-1947 along with additional games found here and there for 1948-1973.
For a full list of our data coverage, check out our Data Coverage page.
I have yet to re-run the full site, so the 1916 A's and 1917 retirees will not yet have links to splits or gamelogs, but that should happen later today or tomorrow.
Box Score Directory (1916-2012)
Note: RetroSheet also has 1915 AL and NL box scores, but not yet Federal League boxes. Given our setup we require a full set to be available before we can publish a year's worth of box scores.
3 Comments |
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, expire120d, History
Posted by Neil on November 30, 2012
With the 2012-13 regular season in full swing, you might want to check out the Basketball-Reference Play Index. In case you don't already know about the PI, it's a set of research tools that allow you to create customizable queries on our database, save the results, and share them with others. With the PI, you can:
- Use the Player Season Finder to search through all NBA, ABA, & BAA players' regular season and playoff statistics for performances that match your criteria.
- Use the Player Game Finder to search through NBA players' regular season and playoff game logs (since 1985-86) for games matching your criteria.
- Use the Head-to-Head Finder to search for games in which two selected players played against each other.
- Search for player and team consecutive-game streaks that match your criteria using the Streak Finders.
- Search for team performances that meet your criteria with the Team Season Finder and Team Game Finder.
- Use the Draft Finder to search through every NBA/BAA draft for picks that match your criteria.
- Use the Player Comparison Finder to compare the stats of up to four players through (or in) a given season.
Also, take a look at the Play Index Plus for even more data-searching goodness. The PI+ lets you sift through the play-by-play data of every game since 2001, making it possible to look for specific events, lineup data, and shooting stats (including clutch shots and shot breakdowns by distance).
Best of all, these features are 100% free to use! So go ahead, give them a try, and you'll wonder how you ever got along without them.
Comments Off |
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Play Index
Posted by Neil on October 12, 2012
Just wanted to let everyone know that we have now added ESPN's Total Quarterback Rating (QBR) to our player pages and leaderboards.
In case you forgot what QBR is all about, here's a link describing the methodology behind the rating (they also noted several subsequent tweaks here). The scale is 0-100, with average being 50; the best performers tend to be around 75-80 for a full season (Aaron Rodgers set the record with 86.2 last year), while something like the 11.7 that JaMarcus Russell put up in 2009 would be considered the bottom of the barrel.
7 Comments |
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Pro-Football-Reference.com
Posted by Neil on October 11, 2012
Here's a reminder that if the stats you see on a player's main page aren't enough, you can click the "More Stats" link next to his primary batting table. This will bring up an advanced batting stats page, which contains not only the conventional batting & player value tables you see on the main page, but also:
- Ratio Batting - Generally, metrics that come as a percentage of plate appearances (or some other opportunity stat). Examples: HR%, BB%, SO%, GB/FB, Line Drive %
- Win Probability - Stats pertaining to Win Probability. Examples: Win Probability Added (WPA), Leverage Index
- Baserunning & Misc. Stats - Stats that deal w/ baserunning. Examples: Stolen base opportunities, extra bases taken, going from 1st to 3rd on a single, reaching on error
- Situational Hitting - Hitting stats in important situations. Examples: Pinch hitting, productive outs, advancing runners
- Pitch Summary Batting - Hitting stats from the pitch-by-pitch data. Examples: Pitches seen/PA, strikes taken, 1st pitches swung at, 2-0 counts seen
- Cumulative Batting - Career conventional stat totals through every season of a player's career.
- Neutralized Batting - Career stats transported to the year/league/park context of your choice (via this system)
Many people have never noticed the "More Stats" pages, so hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised to find even more free stats on a player's Baseball-Reference page.
4 Comments |
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Data, Features