Archive for the 'Features' Category
Posted by Neil on June 13, 2012
With the Finals getting underway, it's time for a reminder to check out the Basketball-Reference Play Index. In case you don't already know about the PI, it's a set of research tools that allow you to create customizable queries on our database, save the results, and share them with others. With the PI, you can:
- Use the Player Season Finder to search through all NBA, ABA, & BAA players' regular season and playoff statistics for performances that match your criteria.
- Use the Player Game Finder to search through NBA players' regular season and playoff game logs (since 1985-86) for games matching your criteria.
- Use the Head-to-Head Finder to search for games in which two selected players played against each other.
- Search for player and team consecutive-game streaks that match your criteria using the Streak Finders.
- Search for team performances that meet your criteria with the Team Season Finder and Team Game Finder.
- Use the Draft Finder to search through every NBA/BAA draft for picks that match your criteria.
- Use the Player Comparison Finder to compare the stats of up to four players through (or in) a given season.
Also, take a look at the Play Index Plus for even more data-searching goodness. The PI+ lets you sift through the play-by-play data of every game since 2001, making it possible to look for specific events, lineup data, and shooting stats (including clutch shots and shot breakdowns by distance).
Best of all, these features are 100% free to use! So go ahead, give them a try, and you'll wonder how you ever got along without them.
3 Comments |
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Features, Play Index
Posted by Neil on June 7, 2012
- If you are composing your posts in supported blogging or bulletin board software, clicking the bookmarklet will take the text you have typed and wrap every active player's name with a link to their BBR page. We are happy to add more options if the software you use is not currently supported; just let us know.
- If you are on a web page with player names in the text, select the text with your mouse and click the bookmarklet. After a few seconds, links to BBR pages for the player names that appear in the selected text will be automatically added.
Please see the linker page for full instructions and some areas to test the bookmarklet.
By itself this feature is pretty handy, but if you are a site owner you may want something in return for linking to Tim Duncan's or LaMarcus Aldridge's BBR page from your blog posts. We agree, so we have added a feature to return the link back to you.
Those stories are used to populate the "Player News" section just above the player's stats. If you are a blog owner or author, you can use our linker to automatically have your articles added to relevant player pages. If you tag your player names with links to our site — and we can find those links in your RSS feed — we will add a link to your article on the player's page. For example, this Hickory-High post on Derrick Rose is currently the first link in Rose's newsfeed.
Please read this description of the service for complete details, including the information that we need from you before you can start to see your content linked from the BBR player pages.
Comments Off |
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Features, Linker
Posted by Neil on May 31, 2012
In case you don't already know about Baseball-Reference's Play Index, it's a set of research tools that allow you to create customizable queries on our database, save the results, and share them with others. Using the PI, you can:
- Search full-season or multi-year totals to find your own custom leaderboards - Look at the entire history of baseball from 1871-2012 with every year, team, and position available, or filter the results in a vast number of ways: by specific years, by age, by first six seasons or last ten seasons, by American League only, by Cubs only, by switch-hitters, by catchers, by outfielder or infielder, by year of debut, but active or retired, by Hall of Famer, by height and weight, by living or deceased, or by a range of common statistical categories. Then sort the results by any common statistic, by the teams with the most players matching that category, by players with the most seasons matching that category, or by most recent, youngest, oldest, final year, or year of debut, and others.
- Search player game totals - Filtering on any of a dozen or more choices, search for games on a single player level, or on any batter from 1918-2012, or on any pitcher. The same can be done for Team Batting or Team Pitching Totals.
- Search player games looking for the most consecutive games matching a particular set of criteria - This can be done either on a single player level or on any batter in the last 95 years or on any pitcher. The same can be done for Team Batting or Team Pitching Streaks.
- Search the records of a specific player - Output a detailed summary and play-by-play list of all events of a specific type from a single year or an entire career. For example, you can see all of Harmon Killebrew's triples or even his outs to the second baseman.
- Search Batter vs. Pitcher Matchups - This tool presents a complete sortable list of batter or pitcher with totals for every opponent they faced by career or by year. Clicking on the player's name will lead you to a detailed output of their head-to-head plate appearances.
- ...And more!
Personal Subscriptions to the Play Index still cost just $36 for a year, $6 for a month, or $2 for 24 hours. Subscriptions may only be used by a single user, and there are discounts for users sponsoring at least $35 in pages.
Organizational Subscriptions can be set up for either an unlimited number of users ($600/year), or for up to five users ($125/year).
There are Two Steps to Subscribe to the Play Index:
- Login to or create a Sports-Reference.com account (the same account used to sponsor pages).
- Already logged in (or just created an account)? Go to our subscription page to sign up.
Our Always-Available Free Trial: Non-subscribers can use the PI's features as much as you like. However, your outputs will be restricted to a limited number of results.
The Play Index comes with a money back guarantee. We will gladly return the unused portion of any Play Index Subscription should you be dissatisfied with the Play Index.
So go ahead, give the Play Index a try -- we're confident that once you start using it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
Comments Off |
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, Play Index
Posted by Neil on May 24, 2012
Want to know each player's advanced stats for every game they've played? Check out our "Advanced Game Logs" feature.
Start by going to a player's game log page. You're currently viewing his basic game log, but click the red text for "Switch to Advanced Game Log"... There you'll see all of his relevant advanced numbers, like Usage Rate, Offensive Rating, Assist Percentage, and more. (You can do this for regular-season and playoff games.)
Here's a sample:
8 Comments |
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Features