26th September 2012
Archive for the 'Basketball-Reference.com' Category
14th September 2012
BBR has been moved from it's old server (called mikan internally at s-r hq) and now is running on a new server (named lebron, don't blame me, it was Neil's turn to name the new machine). This is a much better machine with more RAM and CPU's, so things should now run much faster and more smoothly than they have in the past. Please let us know if you come across any quirks or problems.
One benefit of this is that CFB, CBB and Olympics sites no longer have to share a server with basketball, hockey and football, so they should see their performance improve as well.
14th September 2012
With the season about a month and a half away, it's time for a reminder to check out the Basketball-Reference Play Index. In case you don't already know about the PI, it's a set of research tools that allow you to create customizable queries on our database, save the results, and share them with others. With the PI, you can:
- Use the Player Season Finder to search through all NBA, ABA, & BAA players' regular season and playoff statistics for performances that match your criteria.
- Use the Player Game Finder to search through NBA players' regular season and playoff game logs (since 1985-86) for games matching your criteria.
- Use the Head-to-Head Finder to search for games in which two selected players played against each other.
- Search for player and team consecutive-game streaks that match your criteria using the Streak Finders.
- Search for team performances that meet your criteria with the Team Season Finder and Team Game Finder.
- Use the Draft Finder to search through every NBA/BAA draft for picks that match your criteria.
- Use the Player Comparison Finder to compare the stats of up to four players through (or in) a given season.
Also, take a look at the Play Index Plus for even more data-searching goodness. The PI+ lets you sift through the play-by-play data of every game since 2001, making it possible to look for specific events, lineup data, and shooting stats (including clutch shots and shot breakdowns by distance).
Best of all, these features are 100% free to use! So go ahead, give them a try, and you'll wonder how you ever got along without them.
7th September 2012
With the Hall of Fame's inductions tonight, just a reminder that you can check out a list of Hall of Famers here... Also, you can select HoF induction status as a criterion in Play Index searches.
30th August 2012
I have modified the player, team, and season pages to make it a little easier to navigate the site.
On the player pages there is a gray menu bar that will "stick" to the top of the page as you scroll down. You can use this menu to access the various tables within the page (totals, per game, etc.) and to jump to a player's game logs, splits, shot charts, and finders. I have also added some extra tables to the player pages. Previously there was a basic table with playoff totals & per game stats and an advanced table with advanced playoff stats. Now there are four playoff tables: Totals, Per Game, Per 36 Minutes, and Advanced.
There is also a menu bar on the team pages. From this bar you can jump to a team's roster & stats, schedule & results, transactions, game log, and splits. Also, if you hover over the team name you will see a dropdown list with links to every season in the team's history.
The menu bars on the league and playoff pages contain links to the various season pages (summary, schedule & results, etc.). If you hover your mouse over the league name, you will see a dropdown list with links to every season in the league's history.
Although some may find these menus obtrusive at first, I think that with time you will appreciate the improved functionality, in particular when using the player pages. Please let me know if you have any comments or questions, either here or using the feedback system.
27th August 2012
This is just a short announcement to let you know that I have added a referees section to Basketball-Reference.com. The main index lists each referee and includes a link to his or her page. Please note that the personal fouls columns on these pages include all fouls, not just fouls called by a particular referee.
Referee data is available for the 1988-89 through 2011-12 seasons. There are 13 games from the 1990-91 season and one game from the 1995-96 season that are missing referees:
- Jan 15, 1991, CHH at LAL
- Mar 2, 1991, ORL at DEN
- Mar 2, 1991, SAC at SEA
- Mar 23, 1991, MIN at UTA
- Apr 27, 1991, HOU at LAL
- Apr 27, 1991, GSW at SAS
- May 4, 1991, SEA at POR
- May 10, 1991, LAL at GSW
- May 11, 1991, BOS at DET
- May 11, 1991, POR at UTA
- May 18, 1991, LAL at POR
- May 25, 1991, CHI at DET
- May 26, 1991, POR at LAL
- Dec 19, 1995, POR at SAS
If you can can find a source that lists the referees for any of these games, please let us know in the comments section or by sending us a message through our feedback system.
17th August 2012
Just a quick note that we've added two recent "All-Time Greatest" lists to the Awards and Honors section of the site:
15th August 2012
The main elements we've added are contract tables on player and the team pages, complete with future payroll commitments for future seasons, the amount of guaranteed money each player is owed, and "payroll notes" describing the conditions of each player's deal. (Think of it as Cot's Contracts, but for the NBA.)
Check out the main contracts portal here and be sure to explore your favorite team's financial situation. Have fun!
8th August 2012
If you've spent any time at our sites, you've probably seen the "SHARE" command in red text above a table of stats... but maybe you didn't know what that did, or have forgotten how to use it. No worries -- here's a quick rundown of the features you can access by clicking "SHARE":
- Customize rows & columns - Sharing lets you delete certain rows/columns that you don't want to include in your table. Just click the round 'x' button to delete a specific row/column, or the arrow 'x' to get rid of everything to the right (columns) or directly below (rows) the row/column in question.
- Export as an HTML table - Clicking 'html
' gives you code to embed the table onto your site (you can even choose to keep S-R's inline style formatting).
- Get a link - Choosing Link URL creates an SR tiny URL specifically for the table you created, which can easily be sent to others via twitter or directly linked at your blog.
- Export as bbcode - This option lets you copy-and-paste the table into most bulletin board formats.
- Export as an iframe - For those who prefer to embed the table within an inline frame.
- Export into preformatted text or CSV
- Convert table to Wiki formatting - This will turn the table into a format suitable for sites like Wikipedia.
These features are currently active at all Sports-Reference sites except Hockey-Reference, which will be updated either this week or next. Happy sharing!
2nd August 2012
Sponsoring a page is fun, fast, and easy way to support what we're doing here at Basketball-Reference. With a sponsorship, you can:
- Show your support for your favorite player or team.
- Drum up traffic for your own site & draw in fans with a common interest.
- Get some well-deserved recognition for your support of BBR.
- Make your voice heard by the tens of thousands of people who visit Basketball-Reference every day.
Here's all you have to do to get involved:
- Create a membership account.
- Find the page(s) you'd like to support, and click "sponsor" (available pages).
- If the page you want is already sponsored, click "Alert Me!" to be informed when the current sponsorship expires.
- Follow the instructions to create your message and make your payment.
- Your message and links will be visible on the page after we approve them (usually in less than 24 hours).
And who knows, if you're clever enough, your message might end up on lists like these.