24th November 2014
Users of our Play Index have likely grown accustomed to searching through the Team Game Finder to find things like highest-scoring games or best shooting performances. However, over the years basketball fans (and our users) have grown more statistically savvy and often crave a deeper perspective beyond the raw numbers. For that reason, we have included an advanced box score within our games boxes for some time. Now, we have taken the next step by allowing users to search through these advanced statistics via the Team Game Finder.
To use these tools, you can simply go to the link above and set the parameters you would like for your search. Please note that these advanced stat searches are limited to the era for which we have complete box scores (since 1985-86). Here are some examples:
- Instead of searching for most points in a game, you can now search for most points per 100 possessions in a game. Yes, we find it incredible that the most efficient offensive performance of the last 30 years was authored by the 1997-98 Clippers.
- Instead of searching for the largest point differentials, you can now search for the largest net rating differentials.
- Perhaps you would have felt better about sitting through this beauty pageant if you knew you were witnessing shot-blocking history.
- You can even use the cumulative season games feature to discover that the 1991-92 Nets, led by Chris Dudley, Derrick Coleman & Sam Bowie, had the best offensive rebounding percentage by any team since 1985.
- And that the 2011-12 Thunder had the best block percentage of that era.
Please note that cumulative searches utilizing possession-based metrics will differ slightly from some season totals found on team pages and in the team season finder because our box scores have player turnovers, but not team turnovers, which causes slight variations.