Henryk Tomaszewski studied in Warszawa at the School of Graphic Industry and then started working as a satirical illustrator for newspapers. From 1934-39 he studied painting at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warszawa. Tomaszewski took an interest in poster art in 1936 and began contributing to âSzpilka,â the satirical weekly. He lived in Warszawa under the Nazi occupation and had his drawings printed in the Lublin-based satirical weekly, âStaÅczykâ in 1944.
After World War II Tomaszewski was awarded a standing order for the design of movie posters by the state film company. In 1966 he was appointed professor. He was considered one of the finest poster and graphic artists in the world, and as an illustrator and teacher, was a pioneer of the Polish poster school. He also designed a number of books and exhibitions, and was a member of many international art societies, including the prestigious Alliance Graphique Internationale (AGI).