Paul Sinkwitz was a German graphic artist, painter and typographer who was born in Oberlausitz, and was educated as a draftsman and lithographer. From 1920 he studied at the Academy of Graphic Arts in Leipzig and at the Art Academy in Dresden from 1924-29. In 1922 he accepted an invitation from Karl Schmidt in the Garden City of Hellerau, where he lived for more than three decades. Sinkwitz later turned increasingly to painting, and in 1931 received a teaching position at the Academy of Applied Arts in Dresden.
In 1940 Sinkwitz was appointed as a lecturer in type design at the State Art School of Dresden. During the Nazi dictatorships he was considered âpolitically inconvincibleâ and was drafted to the Wehrmacht in 1943. In 1955 he moved to Stuttgart, where he worked as a teacher at the Professional and Master School. Sinkwitz produced mostly book illustrations, wood cuts about ancient customs and legends of the Oberlausitz, biblical cycles, and posters.