Italian architect Pier Luigi Nervi was known for his architecture innovations. Using concrete, his favorite material, he built stadiums, factories and warehouses. He was an engineer, designer, constructor, inventor, teacher and theorist. He became a cult figure for the construction industry for constructive aesthetics Italy and beyond. Nervi studied construction engineering at the University of Bologne.
Nervi's designs gained worldwide attention when he won the competition for the planned stadium in Firenze. In 1932 he completed his work, and the architectural world appreciated the courage and the grace of the open framework structure, the boldness of the thin plate staircase sweeps and the possibilities of new construction facilities.
In 1932 Nervi and his cousin, the engineer Giovanni Bartoli, founded their own office in Rome âSocietÃ Ingg. Nervi e Bartoli.â In 1954, Nerviâs eldest son, Antonio joined the office in 1960, and was followed by two other sons, Mario and Vittorio. From 1946-61 Nervi was a full professor at the Department of Engineering and Material Science at the Architecture Faculty of the University La Sapienza. From 1961-62 he was also a Norton professor at Harvard University. In 1960 Nervi was substantially involved in the planning of sports stadiums for the Roma Olympics. In 1970 he designed the audience hall at the Vatican, which is still in use.
|1936 Summer||45||Berlin||Art Competitions||Mixed Architecture, Unknown Event||Italy||ITA||AC|
|1936 Summer||45||Berlin||Art Competitions||Italy||Final Standings||AC|