Sculptor and graphic artist Gerhard Marcks taught at the Weimar Bauhaus starting in 1919, moving to the School of Applied Arts in Halle in 1925. He was dismissed for political reasons in 1933. In 1936, 86 of his works were seized and five were shown in the exhibition âDegenerate Art.â After World War II, Marcks was named professor at the Hamburg Art School (in 1946) and the Art Working Schools in KÃ¶ln (in 1950).
Marcks was initially an expressionist before he was influenced by Greek archaic art, but later turned to simpler forms. He designed sculptures, especially human figures and animals and drew and created woodcuts. In 1953 his most famous work, the statue of the Bremen Town Musicians was placed in the center of Bremen, followed in 1956 by the Albert Magnus Statue at Albert-Magnus-Square front of the University of Cologne.