Delano & Aldrich was one of the leading American architectural firms of the early 20th century in New York. William Adams Delano (1874-1960) and Chester Holmes Aldrich (1871-1940) were among the most successful of the generation of architects who took European and classical precedents and forged a personal interpretation of house architecture during the first half of the 20th century. They formed a partnership after completion of their studies at the Ãcole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Both created houses that transcended stylistic labels.
Their Model and Plan of a Tennis Court submitted in 1928 referred to the Welwyn Indoor Tennis Court, which was originally designed in 1906 by Babb, Cook & Willard in Glen Cove, Long Island, but extensively rebuilt by Delano & Aldrich in the 1920s.