Alphonse De Cuyper studied at the Higher Institute of Antwerp. Since 1909 he taught sculpture and direct carving at the Technical School of Antwerp. During the next decades he exhibited on various occasions in Belgium presenting amongst others Oedipus, a male torso, a childâs head and Sacrifice. He received the bronze medal in Antwerp in 1920 with his sculptures Shot putter and Runner. In 1928 and 1936, he submitted works of art with the same names - probably they were the same sculptures. In the 1936 catalogue of the art competitions it is mentioned that the sculpture was created in 1920. In 1950, at the Salon of Ghent, De Cuyper had his last important presentation. He designed several war memorials, including in Gistel, Aalst, Bree and Heusden. In Antwerp one can still see the monument for the orphans of the boys' school of his hand. His sculptures are rarely signed.
The identity of the sculptor Alphonse De Cuyper is questionable, as there also existed another artist with the same name (*22.05.1887 in Leuven - 10.11.1950 in Gent) from the same time period. He mainly painted landscapes and cityscapes, and taught at the Academy of Ghent.