The planner and architect of known parks in Frankfurt, Max Bromme, was the director of horticulture from 1912-45, and from 1932-45 was the director of the Palm Garden in Frankfurt. In 1953 he was awarded the Federal Republicâs Cross of Merit. In the park âBornheimer Hangâ, a slope trail is named after him. In 1928 his entry was his design of the Waldstadion in Frankfurt where he was responsible for the overall planning. The stadium was inaugurated in May 1925, along with the adjacent swimming pool and the cycling track later in the same year. After several reconstructions, the fourth stadium on this spot is in use. For the 1932 Olympic Arts Competitions, he and his colleague [Ernst Balser] submitted their design for the stadium in Vienna. Their plan, however, was never realized, and the stadium was constructed following the plans of [Otto Ernst Schweizer].
Max Bromme commenced his professional training in his fatherâs tree-nursery in 1893. After his military service he studied at the Royal Gardening School in Wildpark near Potsdam from 1901-04. Since 1903 he worked in Cologne, first as a garden technician, then as the managing director of a horticulture company, and eventually as municipal head gardener. In 1908, Bromme took over as the director of horticulture in the city of Erfurt, where he initiated some important projects before moving to Frankfurt.