Customer Success/Social Media Job at Sports Reference
Posted: October 19, 2020
REPORTS TO: Sean Forman, SR President
Sports Reference LLC is searching for a customer success & social media associate to join our current group of soon to be thirteen employees for work on our group of sites: Baseball-Reference.com, Basketball-Reference.com, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Hockey-Reference.com, SR/College Football, SR/College Basketball, FBref.com, and most importantly our subscription site Stathead.com.
- Respect for our users, the athletes we cover, and our team.
- Tools and products built with craftsmanship in mind.
- Reliable tools and services that meet our users' needs every day.
- Data Democratization.
Please send an e-mail (which should serve as your cover letter) and an attached resume (pdf is preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org (our internal bug system address) with the subject "Customer Success". We will begin reviewing applications by at least November 2nd. We will do an initial phone screen for promising candidates and follow-up with a series of video interviews for finalists.
This a new full-time position at Sports Reference. Our Stathead subscription service is growing both in users and in capabilities. It is important to us that we provide prompt responses to the growing number of questions we are receiving and that we also produce content that clearly demonstrates to our users how to use the Stathead tools to meet their goals.
In addition, Sports Reference has a very active Twitter presence and provides an extensive list of daily newsletters, but we would like to expand the scope of our social media efforts beyond what we are doing now. We expect this role to focus mainly on customer success, but we also want this person make a significant contribution to our social media team.
Goals and Tasks for Your First Year (In rough order of importance)
- Stathead Customer Success
- Promptly respond to questions and problems Stathead users are having.
- Develop evergreen video and written content to help new and existing stathead.com subscribers succeed using the site.
- In company discussions, act as a customer advocate, so we always keep our user needs in mind when making decisions. This will help us solve recurring issues and increase the services' usefulness over time.
- Social Media
- Collaborate with our existing social media to expand the social networks and services we are on.
- Produce social media content for existing and potential Sports Reference users.
- Promote Stathead across social networks and take part in plans to advertise Stathead.
- Provide backup support for our User Affairs and Social Media roles.
QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS
A qualified candidate will satisfy the following:
- a strong interest helping users succeed in their tasks,
- the ability to create compelling content for an audience of sports fans -- both those who may know about us and, more importantly, those who don't,
- have a history of getting things done (and done well), and
- strong communication skills.
- The ability to speak a foreign language may be helpful as we work to promote fbref.com.
- Sports Reference is located in Philadelphia and non-Philadelphia candidates will be considered on an equal footing to those who are local. Presently, all SR employees are working remotely, and we have no current plans to re-open our offices. If you in the future want to move to Philly, we would cover relocation expenses.
- This is a full-time position.
- Applicant is preferred to have a legal right to work in the United States. Please let us know in your application if you do not have the right to work in the United States. We'd have to look carefully at those cases as we have never had the opportunity to hire a non US-based employee.
Sports Reference is a growing company with (soon) 13 employees (you would be #14), so your work will be highly visible and have a definite and immediate impact (Read about us in the New York Times and The Athletic ($)). We reach over ten million users each month and have served over 1.2 billion pages each of the last two years.
Even though we are a small company, Sports Reference has a generous benefits package.
- We cover full health and dental insurance costs for full-time employees and their dependent children. Spouses may enroll at employee expense.
- We have a Simple IRA retirement plan with Edward Jones and match up to 3% of your annual salary.
- We pay all premiums for life and long-term disability insurance for all employees.
- We provide up to $7,000/year in continuing education benefits.
- In normal times, even if you live in or near Philly, you have the option to work remotely multiple days a week, and your work hours are generally yours to determine. For now, all work is remote.
- Any parent welcoming a new child to their family is entitled to 13 weeks of fully paid leave, and up to an additional 26 weeks at half-time.
- Employees begin with 18 days vacation per year (and earn up to 30) and an additional 7 paid company holidays.
- Annual bonuses tied to a percentage of the company's end of year profits.
- Salaries commensurate with your ability level and experience.
- We will generally buy you whatever equipment will make you the most productive.
- We typically pay for moving-related expenses.
Sports Reference LLC does not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, military service eligibility, veteran status, marital status, disability, membership in any other protected classes, or on the basis of sports franchise preferences.