Posted by admin on August 9, 2013
Jobs @ Sports Reference.
Sports Reference has an immediate opening for a web developer. Please see our job advertisement for all of the details. We will begin reviewing applications on August 26th.
Posted in Advanced Stats, All-Star, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Basketball-Reference.com, Bleg, CBB at Sports Reference, CFB at Sports Reference, expire21d, General, Hockey-Reference.com, Olympics at S-R, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Statgeekery | 7 Comments »
Posted by Mike on August 8, 2013
Fantasy draft time is coming up, so we've added fantasy points as a sorting option and search criteria in our Player Season Finder and Player Game Finder tools. Use these to find out things like:
Posted in Announcement, Pro-Football-Reference.com | Comments Off on Added Fantasy Points to the Player Finders
Posted by Neil on August 5, 2013
Recently, we've added Vegas line tables to our team-season pages, which include the spread & over/under of every game, and results straight-up, vs. the line, and vs. the over/under. (This is available for all teams since 1978.)
Posted in Announcement, Features, Pro-Football-Reference.com | 2 Comments »
Posted by Neil on July 31, 2013
Due to popular demand, we decided to add a dedicated page with the 2013 preseason schedule for every team:
2013 preseason schedule and results
It will also be populated with scores/results as the games are played.
Posted in Announcement, Features, Pro-Football-Reference.com | Comments Off on 2013 Preseason Schedule/Results Page Added
Posted by Neil on July 30, 2013
With the season getting down to the home stretch, it's time to check out the Baseball-Reference Play Index if you haven't already signed up. What's the Play Index? It's a set of research tools that allow you to create customizable queries on our database, save the results, and share them with others. Using the PI, you can:
- Search full-season or multi-year totals to find your own custom leaderboards - Look at the entire history of baseball from 1871-2012 with every year, team, and position available, or filter the results in a vast number of ways: by specific years, by age, by first six seasons or last ten seasons, by American League only, by Cubs only, by switch-hitters, by catchers, by outfielder or infielder, by year of debut, but active or retired, by Hall of Famer, by height and weight, by living or deceased, or by a range of common statistical categories. Then sort the results by any common statistic, by the teams with the most players matching that category, by players with the most seasons matching that category, or by most recent, youngest, oldest, final year, or year of debut, and others.
- Search player game totals - Filtering on any of a dozen or more choices, search for games on a single player level, or on any batter from 1916-2012, or on any pitcher. The same can be done for Team Batting or Team Pitching Totals.
- Search player games looking for the most consecutive games matching a particular set of criteria - This can be done either on a single player level or on any batter in the last 97 years or on any pitcher. The same can be done for Team Batting or Team Pitching Streaks.
- Search the records of a specific player - Output a detailed summary and play-by-play list of all events of a specific type from a single year or an entire career. For example, you can see all of Harmon Killebrew's triples or even his outs to the second baseman.
- Search Batter vs. Pitcher Matchups - This tool presents a complete sortable list of batter or pitcher with totals for every opponent they faced by career or by year. Clicking on the player's name will lead you to a detailed output of their head-to-head plate appearances.
- ...And more!
Personal Subscriptions to the Play Index still cost just $36 for a year, $6 for a month, or $2 for 24 hours. Subscriptions may only be used by a single user, and there are discounts for users sponsoring at least $35 in pages.
Organizational Subscriptions can be set up for either an unlimited number of users ($600/year), or for up to five users ($125/year).
There are Two Steps to Subscribe to the Play Index:
- Login to or create a Sports-Reference.com account (the same account used to sponsor pages).
- Already logged in (or just created an account)? Go to our subscription page to sign up.
Our Always-Available Free Trial: Non-subscribers can use the PI's features as much as you like. However, your outputs will be restricted to a limited number of results.
The Play Index comes with a money back guarantee. We will gladly return the unused portion of any Play Index Subscription should you be dissatisfied with the Play Index.
So go ahead, give the Play Index a try -- we're confident that once you start using it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, Play Index | 6 Comments »
Posted by Neil on July 18, 2013
Here is a google doc containing every team-season in our database since 1957, including the Head Coach and offensive & defensive coordinators. It also specifies those coaches' preferred offensive or defensive schemes (depending on which side of the ball they specialize in), and attempts to figure out the general offensive family (i.e. Air Coryell, Erhardt-Perkins, etc) each team-season fell into.
THIS IS BY NO MEANS COMPLETE. In fact, it's very much incomplete at this stage -- and that's where you come in. In the comments of this post, or in an email, we'd love to hear corrections and/or additions to the data, if you see an entry about which you know more than we do (and it's a good bet you do). Thanks in advance for your help, and hopefully we can assemble a more complete listing of teams' systems/schemes, which will let us do things like compute splits vs. a certain type of offense or defense, analyze whether 4-3 or 3-4 defenses were better in a given season, etc.
So let those corrections/additions pour in!
Posted in Announcement, Bleg, CFB at Sports Reference, History, Most Wanted, Pro-Football-Reference.com | 3 Comments »
Posted by Neil on July 16, 2013
Prepare for tonight's 2013 All-Star Game at Citi Field with Baseball-Reference's All-Star features:
Posted in All-Star, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features | 1 Comment »
Posted by Neil on July 15, 2013
For every game of the regular season and playoffs, we generate a preview containing player and team stats pertaining to the matchup. The All-Star Game is no exception, so please enjoy our 2013 MLB All-Star Game Preview as you prepare for the game tomorrow.
Posted in All-Star, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, expire2d, Features | 1 Comment »
Posted by admin on July 15, 2013
By the nature of our update process these will take a week or two to roll out to the site, but they'll get there eventually. This note below is from one of our data producers and represent a set of updates we'll be incorporating into the site.
One of the great aspects of the baseball research community is their dogged determination to get things right even it is a mixup between Tom Maher and Frank Mahar in 1902.
Read the rest of this entry
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, expire40d, Statgeekery, Trivia | 1 Comment »
Posted by Mike on July 12, 2013
For your offseason Friday enjoyment (only a couple more weeks till training camps!) I put together some team travel maps highlighting the distances each team has to go to away games each year (back to 1970). Compare the Browns' 6,578 miles traveled (round-trip) with the 28,268 miles Seattle travels in 2013.
Posted in Announcement, Pro-Football-Reference.com | 3 Comments »