29th August 2014
With football season once again upon us, we figured users that have been away from the sites in the offseason could use a refresher on some changes/updates. We remained hard at work in the offseason rolling out a series of new features & improvements for users to enjoy this season:
- We now have line scores for every game in NFL/AAFC history all the way back to the 1920 APFA (as the NFL was known at the time).
- Thanks to these line scores, we've been able to flesh out stadium histories, as well. We now have an index of every stadium in league history, with leaderboards for venues since 1960. We have also integrated these stadiums into the Player Game Finder and Team Game Finder. So you can now search for the most rushing yards in a game at Lambeau Field since 1960 and the most points scored in a game at Lambeau. This addition has also allowed us to make the Player Touchdown Finder searchable for every season in NFL history.
- We've also enhanced our coverage of more recent history. Our Game Play Finder now allows you to create custom searches through every play since 1998. We now have over 725,000 plays searchable through this tool, including every pass play in Peyton Manning's career.
- Many of you likely noticed that we added the Player Streak Finder late last season. This tool allowed for searches like most consecutive 100-yard rushing games since 1960 and most consecutive seasons with 1,000 receiving yards. Well, we've now rolled out a similar tool for teams, the Team Streak Finder. With this feature, you can find the longest regular-season win streaks since 1940 and the most consecutive 10-win seasons since the merger.
- Wondering how your favorite (or least favorite?) head coach has fared on challenges? You can now find a list of challenges and results on the bottom of coaching pages.
- We have also added trades since 2000 to team pages and player pages (at the bottom).
- Finally, we have added high schools to players' biographical info, creating listings for high schools in the process. If you see any bugs in this data, please let us know.
We hope everyone finds these new features useful this season.
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Uncategorized | 15 Comments »
14th July 2014
Prepare for Tuesday's 2014 All-Star Game at Target Field with Baseball-Reference's All-Star features:
Posted in All-Star, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, expire21d, Features | 2 Comments »
17th June 2014
As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, we continue to work on our possession and play-by-play stats, and we have released the next enhancement, additional situations.
As a brief primer on what the new situations mean:
- All Situations, Even Strength, Power Play, and Short-Handed are the traditional situations and mean what you expect them to.
- 5-on-5 is situations where there were five skaters on the ice for both teams. It is similar to Even Strength, but doesn't include 4-on-4.
- 5-on-5 Close is situations where there were five skaters on the ice for both teams and:
- The score is within 1 point in the 1st or 2nd Period, or
- The score is tied in the 3rd Period.
- 5-on-5 Tied is situations where there were five skaters on the ice for both teams and the score was tied.
When you click on a situational tab, all of the stats on that page are for that situation (Blocks, Hits, Corsi For, etc.).
Where are they?
To find these stats, go to a player's page (one who's played in a game since the 2007-08 season) and you will see a link to "Additional Stats":
Clicking on that will take you to the Additional Stats pages where you can see these new enhancements.
We welcome any feedback or questions you have about these new features.
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Features, Hockey-Reference.com | Comments Off on Additional Possession and Play-by-Play Enhancements on Hockey-Reference
10th June 2014
We've added a feature to the league and team year pages that allow you to see the average age of team. It is weighted by time on ice, since we feel that is the most accurate representation of the team's "age."
To see this, simply go to either a league or team year page and scroll down to the stats section.
On a league year page it will look like this:
On a team year page, it will look like this:
As always, we welcome any feedback.
Posted in Announcement, Features, Hockey-Reference.com | 2 Comments »
30th May 2014
Positional differences and performance by position are interesting ways to look at team performance. For instance as Phillies fan I know that CF and LF are hurting the Phillies, but just how much are they hurting relative to the league. This tool answers that question and many many more. (answer: a whole lot of hurt)
You select a year, the league and a stat, and we rank every team at each position by that stat and in some cases a summary of positions. This uses our positional splits to allot stats to positions or in some cases a prorated assignment of WAR and related stats by time played at each position. Now in one table you can see the worst or best team-positions in baseball.
There are some additional tools that allow you to highlight a particular team and mousing over a table cell informs you the players involved in producing that value.
I like this output so much I've also added it to our base league pages just below the pitching stats.
2014 AL League page
Team Comparison Tool - Baseball-Reference.com.
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, Statgeekery | 6 Comments »
14th April 2014
We have added hat trick leaderboards to Hockey Reference. While we only have game logs going back to the 1987-88 season, we are able to do some magic to also include the career hat trick leaders. To see this functionality, you can go to the menu item Leaders > All NHL & WHA Leaders & Records:
Then, scroll down to the Hat Tricks line:
You can also see the hat tricks on the individual player leaderboards:
Let us know if you have any comments or questions.
Posted in Announcement, Features, Hockey-Reference.com | 2 Comments »
10th April 2014
A minor, but useful addition to the team pages today are the player totals for the teams that they played on. This is a feature on the other Sports Reference sites, and it finally found its way to Hockey Reference.
(Hat tip to the @TheWrage for bringing up this suggestion.)
As always, your feedback and suggestions are appreciated.
We have added this feature to the coaches' pages as well:
Posted in Announcement, Features, Hockey-Reference.com | 1 Comment »
7th April 2014
You may have noticed that we added player photos in the past couple of days:
In addition to these, we have added pronunciations for many player names. You can see all of them on the Pronunciation Guide page. Hopefully this helps you with some of the harder to pronounce names.
As always, let us know if you have any questions or feedback.
Posted in Announcement, Features, Hockey-Reference.com | Comments Off on Player Photos and Name Pronunciations on Hockey Reference
30th March 2014
It's been a long cold winter here in Philadelphia. In honor of Sunday and Monday, the greatest days of the year, here are some Opening Day features we have here at B-R:
Give them a try, and enjoy baseball's return.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, General | 1 Comment »
4th March 2014
We've added a number of new features to the site for those of you that are interested in player awards:
- Voting Results for Awards (going back to the 1923-24 season)
- NHL Stars of the Week and Month
- Links to awards from the player stat lines.
Voting Results for Awards
To see the voting results for an individual year, you can either go to the main awards index, or you can go to an individual award page and click on the Season that you want the voting results for.
NHL Stars of the Week and Month
On the main awards index, you can find links to the NHL Three Stars Awards going back to the 2009-10 season. These awards took the place of the previous NHL Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week/Month awards:
Awards on Player Stat Lines
Finally, we've added links on the yearly stat lines to all of the player awards to make them easier to find. For example, this is what Wayne Gretzky's stat line looks like:
As always, we welcome your feedback and suggestions on these new features.
Posted in Announcement, Awards, Features, Hockey-Reference.com | Comments Off on The Hockey-Reference.com Awards Update