14th October 2014
Ever wanted to see every touchdown scored and allowed by a team in a season in an easy, sortable table? If you answered "yes", you're in luck. Today we've rolled out those tables on team pages for every team in APFA/NFL history. So you can now find such a table for the 1920 Decatur Staleys & also for the 2014 Philadelphia Eagles. These tables can be found at the bottom the main page for each team.
And don't forget that even larger tables can be generated via our Player Touchdown Finder in the Play Index.
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, Pro-Football-Reference.com | Comments Off on Team & Opponent TD Logs Added to Team Pages
9th October 2014
We've recently added a few cool features to the Team Game Finder that we wanted to update everyone on.
The first addition was inspired by the slew of return TDs scored by the Eagles in the first 5 weeks of this season. It sure seemed extreme, but we had no way of placing it into perspective via the Play Index. Well, now we do. We've added a function to search for all Return TDs (any TD that is not passing or rushing). It turns out, the Eagles are the only team since 1940 to score 7+ Return TDs in their first 5 games. The 1998 Seahawks had 13 such scores, the most in a season since 1940.
We have also added penalty & penalty yards data to the game finder. I'm sure our users won't be shocked to discover that the Raiders have 6 of the 8 most penalized teams since the merger. And the 1998 49ers had the most penalties by any team in a win since the merger, with 22 at Buffalo. Our penalty data is mostly complete back to 1950, but we'd recommend restricting searches to post-merger for the best accuracy.
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, Play Index, Pro-Football-Reference.com | 1 Comment »
8th October 2014
Just a quick announcement that the 2014 season has been added as an option to our Neutralized Stats tables. As a reminder, these tables can be found by clicking on "More Stats" on player pages and then scrolling down to the neutralized section.
This feature allows us to compare players across eras. For instance, the image below shows how each of Pedro Martinez's seasons would have looked if pitching in the environment of the 2014 Dodgers:
The same adjustments can be applied to batting numbers, as well. For instance, check out Mike Trout's statistics translated to the batting environment of the 2000 Rockies:
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Data, Features | 3 Comments »
7th October 2014
Just wanted to post a quick blurb that we have made a few recent additions to the Team Streak Finder:
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, Play Index, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Uncategorized | 5 Comments »
12th September 2014
Just a quick post to announce that we've rolled out an enhancement to the Play Index Game Finders (comprised of Player Batting, Playing Pitching, Team Batting & Team Pitching Game Finders).
Previously, subscribers could customize their searches by a team's first "x" games. Now, you can also select a player's first "x" career games or a span of career games from "x" to "y." Additionally, team games can also be searched using any span from "x" to "y" within a season.
If the above made little sense, here's a few concrete examples of searches that can now be completed:
We hope you enjoy these new tools as much as we do. If you're not already a subscriber, but are interested in the Play Index, you can subscribe here for less than a dime per day.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Data, Features, Play Index, Uncategorized | 13 Comments »
11th September 2014
As we enter the final weeks of the MLB regular season, we've made a small (but useful) addition to the Play Index Team Batting & Team Pitching Split Finders. You can now refine your searches to include only non-playoff teams, playoff teams, division winners, Pennant winners or World Series winners.
With this feature, you can now find:
The above represents just a small fraction of what this new search is capable of doing. We encourage current Play Index subscribers to play around with this feature and share any interesting information.
If you're not a Play Index subscriber, but are interested in generating this sort of information, please read more about the Play Index or subscribe.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, Play Index | Comments Off on Postseason Success Criteria Added to Play Index Split Finder
29th August 2014
The Play Index
is the name we use to refer to PFR's collection of top-notch research tools. Read below for more information on some of the applications we have made available to you.
Search all plays from 1998 to today to find performances that match your criteria. Answer questions like…
Player Season Finder
Search through player season stats spanning from 1920 to today for single seasons or combined seasons that match your criteria. Answer questions like…
The answers to these questions and many, many more are at your fingertips using the Player Season Finder.
Player Game Finder
Search through player game logs spanning from 1960 to today for games that match your criteria. You can find…
With the Player Game Finder, the possibilities are almost endless.
Player Touchdown Finder
Search through every touchdown scored from 1920 to today for scores that match your criteria. Did you know…
Impress your friends and come up with your own "Did You Know" with a little help from the Player Touchdown Finder.
Team Game Finder
Find team games or seasons matching certain criteria. Did you know…
Player Streak Finder
Find the longest player streaks matching certain criteria. Did you know...
Team Streak Finder
Find the longest team streaks matching certain criteria. Did you know...
Super Bowl Play Finder
Search through every play in Super Bowl History.
Search through every NFL and AFL draft pick.
Find head-to-head results and also find games matching a particular score.
Posted in Announcement, Features, History, Play Index, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Uncategorized | Comments Off on Dive Into Our Stats with the Play Index This Season
29th August 2014
With football season once again upon us, we figured users that have been away from the sites in the offseason could use a refresher on some changes/updates. We remained hard at work in the offseason rolling out a series of new features & improvements for users to enjoy this season:
- We now have line scores for every game in NFL/AAFC history all the way back to the 1920 APFA (as the NFL was known at the time).
- Thanks to these line scores, we've been able to flesh out stadium histories, as well. We now have an index of every stadium in league history, with leaderboards for venues since 1960. We have also integrated these stadiums into the Player Game Finder and Team Game Finder. So you can now search for the most rushing yards in a game at Lambeau Field since 1960 and the most points scored in a game at Lambeau. This addition has also allowed us to make the Player Touchdown Finder searchable for every season in NFL history.
- We've also enhanced our coverage of more recent history. Our Game Play Finder now allows you to create custom searches through every play since 1998. We now have over 725,000 plays searchable through this tool, including every pass play in Peyton Manning's career.
- Many of you likely noticed that we added the Player Streak Finder late last season. This tool allowed for searches like most consecutive 100-yard rushing games since 1960 and most consecutive seasons with 1,000 receiving yards. Well, we've now rolled out a similar tool for teams, the Team Streak Finder. With this feature, you can find the longest regular-season win streaks since 1940 and the most consecutive 10-win seasons since the merger.
- Wondering how your favorite (or least favorite?) head coach has fared on challenges? You can now find a list of challenges and results on the bottom of coaching pages.
- We have also added trades since 2000 to team pages and player pages (at the bottom).
- Finally, we have added high schools to players' biographical info, creating listings for high schools in the process. If you see any bugs in this data, please let us know.
We hope everyone finds these new features useful this season.
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Uncategorized | 15 Comments »
14th July 2014
Prepare for Tuesday's 2014 All-Star Game at Target Field with Baseball-Reference's All-Star features:
Posted in All-Star, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, expire21d, Features | 2 Comments »
17th June 2014
As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, we continue to work on our possession and play-by-play stats, and we have released the next enhancement, additional situations.
As a brief primer on what the new situations mean:
- All Situations, Even Strength, Power Play, and Short-Handed are the traditional situations and mean what you expect them to.
- 5-on-5 is situations where there were five skaters on the ice for both teams. It is similar to Even Strength, but doesn't include 4-on-4.
- 5-on-5 Close is situations where there were five skaters on the ice for both teams and:
- The score is within 1 point in the 1st or 2nd Period, or
- The score is tied in the 3rd Period.
- 5-on-5 Tied is situations where there were five skaters on the ice for both teams and the score was tied.
When you click on a situational tab, all of the stats on that page are for that situation (Blocks, Hits, Corsi For, etc.).
Where are they?
To find these stats, go to a player's page (one who's played in a game since the 2007-08 season) and you will see a link to "Additional Stats":
Clicking on that will take you to the Additional Stats pages where you can see these new enhancements.
We welcome any feedback or questions you have about these new features.
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Features, Hockey-Reference.com | Comments Off on Additional Possession and Play-by-Play Enhancements on Hockey-Reference