Posted by Mike Lynch on February 6, 2019
Last month, we announced that you could now search for spans of starts by QBs, back to 1950 in the Player Game Finder. We want to point out that you can also use this feature as a simple toggle to restrict your search to starters or subs. This can be done for all other positions only back to 1999, but for quarterbacks it works back to 1950 using the "QB Started" filter.
Here's a few examples of searches you can run with this capability:
- The most touchdown passes thrown in a game by a substitute is five (done three times)
- The most pass attempts in a season in games in which a player came off the bench is 205 by Bobby Thomason of the 1951 Packers.
- Babe Parilli threw for 4,666 yards in his career as a reserve. That's the most career passing yards off the bench by anyone since 1950.
- Among players with 100+ career pass attempts as reserves, the top three passer ratings all belong to Super Bowl winning Hall of Famers.
- Y.A. Tittle authored eight Game-Winning Drives as a reserve, which is the most since 1950.