Posted by Mike Lynch on December 19, 2017
We are thrilled to announce the addition of two incredible new tools to the Baseball Reference Play Index:
These new tools will allow Play Index subscribers to create customized leaderboards for all team pitching/batting stats in Major League history. In addition to standard team stats, we've also opened up searches for value stats, advanced stats, win probability stats, ratio stats, baserunning stats, situational stats, and stats in various pitch counts.
To get an idea of some of the capabilities of these new tools, please check out these examples of new searches:
- We'll start with a basic one. The 1997 Mariners hit an MLB Record 264 Home Runs.
- You can also take that same stat and run for all teams in MLB history. For instance, the Yankees have the most Home Runs in MLB history.
- Slightly different than "teams" searches, you can also run "franchises" searches. Here's the Franchise Home Run leaders. You can see the Giants franchise shoots up the list since it combined SF with NY.
- You can also filter by "team success", such as this search for World Series winners with the worst winning percentages.
- The 2017 Astros broke the 1927 Yankees Modern Era record for best OPS+.
- The 2017 Astros all set the MLB record for Batting Runs, passing the 1931 Yankees.
- The 2017 Rockies had the best BABIP in the Modern Era.
- The 2017 Indians were the 5th-worst "clutch" batting team since 1930.
- The 2017 Brewers had the highest Strikeout% in MLB history.
- Teams with Davey Lopes as their 1B coach are all over the SB% leaderboard.
- The 2006 Indians and 2000 Athletics each hit a record 14 Grand Slams.
- The 2014 Red Sox saw 4.05 pitchers per plate appearance (most since 1988).
- The Top 5 strikeout seasons of all time were all posted in 2017.
- The 2017 Indians had the 2nd-most Pitcher WAR of all-time.
- The 2017 Indians set the record (since 1930) for Situational Wins.
- The 2016 and 2017 Reds have allowed the highest HR%s in MLB history.
- 1988 was a crazy year for balks. (see here for more on this).
- The 2017 Dodgers had the 2nd-best 1st-pitch strike% since 1988.
- The 1987 Rangers had a record 73 passed balls. (thanks, Charlie Hough)
- The 2016 Cubs and 2011 Phillies had the best Average Game Score in the Wild Card Era.
- The 1995 Indians allowed the lowest percentage of inherited runners to score since 1930.
Feel free to leave your favorite search findings in the comments, and please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.