Posted by Hans Van Slooten on June 5, 2014
We are beginning to release some new stats on Hockey-Reference that we are lumping together into "Play-by-Play Stats". In this initial release, we are including basic counting stats on the player level -- like Hits, Blocks, Takeaways, and Giveaways -- as well as possession stats like Corsi and Fenwick.
We intend to provide a full introduction to all of these new stats on the site before they come out of beta, but for now take a look at this article over at Grantland. These stats come with a few of caveats, which is why they are being released as "beta":
- There are a few games missing from the data that we are working to remedy.
- This release only includes individual players. Teams and a Play Index are under development.
- Corsi and Fenwick numbers are not scaled to 60 minutes as is standard. These will be added in the future.
- The Corsi/Fenwick numbers are only provided for Even Strength situations. Other situations (e.g. SH, PP, 5-on-5 close, etc.) will be provided in the future.
- This data only goes back to the 2007-2008 season.
To see these new stats, simply go to a player page of someone that has played since the 2007-08 season and click on the "Additional Stats" tab in their NHL Stats table:
With that in mind, we welcome any feedback and look forward to expanding this area significantly in the off-season.