German sculptor William Wauer studied at the Art Academies in Dresden, Halle and Berlin, and for two years in San Francisco and New York. In addition, he studied philosophy and art history in Leipzig. Wauer was an art critic, wrote theater reviews, was a feature editor and published art magazines. He also spent some time as head of the advertising department of Lingner-Werke, where he developed a famous advertising campaign for “Odol” mouthwash.
Beginning in 1913, Wauer made films and owned his own film company until 1916. In 1918 he began exhibiting sculptures and busts and worked as a portraitist. In the 1920s he worked at the Bauhaus in Weimar. In 1933 Wauer was considered degenerate by the Nazis and in 1941 was banned from working. After 1945 he again worked as a sculptor and painter.