Polish architect Edgar Norwerth stayed during his early years mostly in Russia. He studied at the Institute of Communication Engineering in Moskva, and then at the Institute of Civil Engineers in St. Petersburg, where he became a professor from 1917-24. In 1918 he also became a professor at the Moskva School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture, but in 1924 he returned to Poland and settled in Warszawa, where from 1926-30 he was professor at the Warszawa University of Technology.
In addition to architecture, Norwerth also produced graphic works, mostly etchings and woodcuts decorated in avant-garde style. He was also a well-known architecture critic, the author of numerous articles published frequently in Architecture and Construction, and he helped initiate environmental discussion, about the urban planning in Warszawa.