Japanese architect Kenji Ishihara was a man of varied interests and experiences. From 1922-41, he served as an architectural officer at the Tokyo Municipal Office where he was in charge of the design and construction of Tokyo’s municipal buildings. At this time, he spent a lot of money collecting foreign books on housing and urban planning and published several books on urban planning and urban design in the 1920s, some on foreign urban planning. He was also the head of a Christian movement among Tokyo’s municipal officers.
In 1941 Ishihara got a new scholarly post in the research division of the Juhtaku Eidan (Japan Housing Authority) and for a very short period from 1944-45 was installed as a professor of architecture in the Military College of Technology in Bandung, Indonesia. After World War II he became a professor at the Architectural Department of Tokyo Metropolitan University in 1949, and was one of the pioneering professors of urban planning in Japan until the 1960s. Ishihara was a well-known figure in the academic community of urban planning in Japan and held the position of the president of the City Planning Instituted of Japan from 1961-63. His primary scholarly achievements are thought to be studies on farmer’s traditional houses.