Posted by Justin Kubatko on May 31, 2013
I am very close to having a complete set of proofed line scores (i.e., scoring by quarter) for the 1950-51 NBA season forward. By "proofed" I mean that I have verified that the line score total equals the team point total. There are almost 55,000 regular season and playoff games in that period, but I only have 21 12 issues that need to be resolved.
First, here are the cases where the line score total does not match the team's point total:
195111100BOS BOS pts 83 (game) 84 (line) Found!
195812270PHW PHW pts 114 (game) 115 (line) Found!
195812270PHW STL pts 108 (game) 105 (line) Found!
196003090DET MNL pts 116 (game) 117 (line) Found!
196011050STL STL pts 119 (game) 120 (line) Found!
196111180STL CIN pts 133 (game) 136 (line) Found!
196203040SYR SYR pts 115 (game) 105 (line) Found!
196301310SYR SYR pts 112 (game) 102 (line)
196403010DET SFW pts 100 (game) 94 (line)
196403170LAL PHI pts 97 (game) 94 (line)
196602160NYK SFW pts 108 (game) 106 (line)
Second, here are the games that are missing line scores:
195011040WSC MNL and WSC
195011110NYK SYR and NYK Found!
195011110WSC BOS and WSC Found!
195011150MNL SYR and MNL
195011220BLB NYK and BLB
195011250WSC SYR and WSC
195101060WSC FTW and WSC
195102220NYK TRI and NYK
195103290SYR NYK and SYR Found!
196203120LAL NYK and LAL
I have almost exhausted the resources that I have at my disposal, so I would be very grateful if any of you could lend a hand. You can post additions/corrections here or submit them using our feedback form. Please supply documentation to support your claim. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Most Wanted | 13 Comments »
Posted by Neil on May 30, 2013
The start of June is the perfect time to check out the Baseball-Reference Play Index if you haven't already signed up. What's the Play Index? It's a set of research tools that allow you to create customizable queries on our database, save the results, and share them with others. Using the PI, you can:
- Search full-season or multi-year totals to find your own custom leaderboards - Look at the entire history of baseball from 1871-2012 with every year, team, and position available, or filter the results in a vast number of ways: by specific years, by age, by first six seasons or last ten seasons, by American League only, by Cubs only, by switch-hitters, by catchers, by outfielder or infielder, by year of debut, but active or retired, by Hall of Famer, by height and weight, by living or deceased, or by a range of common statistical categories. Then sort the results by any common statistic, by the teams with the most players matching that category, by players with the most seasons matching that category, or by most recent, youngest, oldest, final year, or year of debut, and others.
- Search player game totals - Filtering on any of a dozen or more choices, search for games on a single player level, or on any batter from 1916-2012, or on any pitcher. The same can be done for Team Batting or Team Pitching Totals.
- Search player games looking for the most consecutive games matching a particular set of criteria - This can be done either on a single player level or on any batter in the last 97 years or on any pitcher. The same can be done for Team Batting or Team Pitching Streaks.
- Search the records of a specific player - Output a detailed summary and play-by-play list of all events of a specific type from a single year or an entire career. For example, you can see all of Harmon Killebrew's triples or even his outs to the second baseman.
- Search Batter vs. Pitcher Matchups - This tool presents a complete sortable list of batter or pitcher with totals for every opponent they faced by career or by year. Clicking on the player's name will lead you to a detailed output of their head-to-head plate appearances.
- ...And more!
Personal Subscriptions to the Play Index still cost just $36 for a year, $6 for a month, or $2 for 24 hours. Subscriptions may only be used by a single user, and there are discounts for users sponsoring at least $35 in pages.
Organizational Subscriptions can be set up for either an unlimited number of users ($600/year), or for up to five users ($125/year).
There are Two Steps to Subscribe to the Play Index:
- Login to or create a Sports-Reference.com account (the same account used to sponsor pages).
- Already logged in (or just created an account)? Go to our subscription page to sign up.
Our Always-Available Free Trial: Non-subscribers can use the PI's features as much as you like. However, your outputs will be restricted to a limited number of results.
The Play Index comes with a money back guarantee. We will gladly return the unused portion of any Play Index Subscription should you be dissatisfied with the Play Index.
So go ahead, give the Play Index a try -- we're confident that once you start using it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, Play Index | 1 Comment »
Posted by Neil on May 22, 2013
The Baseball-Reference Bullpen: Baseball's collaborative encyclopedia
Here's a reminder for everyone to check out the B-R Bullpen Wiki, the collaborative baseball encyclopedia that anyone can edit. We have 65,285 articles -- and counting -- thanks to users just like you, and we hope to add many more as we collect and organize as much baseball knowledge as possible. To get you started, here are some links on the project:
Or you could just go to a Random Page.
Give it a try, explore a little, and maybe even take a shot at editing a page. There's a lot of baseball knowledge out there just waiting to be added to these pages!
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features | 2 Comments »
Posted by Neil on May 20, 2013
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Features, History | Comments Off on BBR Player Similarity Scores
Posted by admin on May 20, 2013
Team Pitching Split Finder.
I know that some folks like to study league-wide trends as a whole, like the percent of innings pitched by relievers, percent of decisions earned by starters, percent of league hits by shortstops and they like to compare that over time. We've made these calculations much much easier by adding the league total splits to the team split finders. To use this tool, you got to the Team Batting Split Finder or the Team Pitching Split Finder and set the following items.
Read the rest of this entry
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Play Index | 1 Comment »
Posted by admin on May 17, 2013
Baseball-Reference.com Front Page.
We've added quick links to our daily reporting tool, so you can now see all of the batters, pitchers, home runs, wins, saves, and stolen bases with just a single click.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com | 1 Comment »
Posted by Neil on May 17, 2013
Ever want to know who the active leader is in a given stat? Go to Leaders, find the stat you want, and click the Active link.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, HowTo, Leaders | Comments Off on Active Leaderboards
Posted by admin on May 17, 2013
Affiliated Pro Baseball Games on Friday, May 17, 2013.
We've added a page to the site that will list the major and minor league games for today's (or a future date). Perhaps you want to catch a game or perhaps you are just curious. We also added a map feature that shows which cities have games going on that day (just scroll down).
We also added a link and a popup for this on the front page of the site. See below.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com | Comments Off on List and Map of Today’s Major and Minor League Games – Baseball-Reference.com
Posted by Mike on May 17, 2013
Today we're rolling out our newest PFR Play Index tool: the Drive Finder. Similar to the Play Finder tool, this will let you find drives for all types of game situations, featuring all drives from 2000-2012. We include a breakdown of average time, yards, plays, points, and even starting position so you can get an idea of the situation behind each drive. Did you know the 2012 Browns average drive started at their own 30.6 yard line with them trailing by 2.8 points? Well now you do! You can also find:
In addition, we have added drive breakdowns to all of the boxscore pages since 2000 which include summaries of offensive performance for each drive (look for the "Drives" section midway through the page above the full play-by-play). Now Patriots fans can relive both the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.
Posted in Announcement, Pro-Football-Reference.com | 1 Comment »