Posted by Neil on November 8, 2012
We're a week and a half into the 2013 season, and it's time for a reminder to check out the Basketball-Reference Play Index. In case you don't already know about the PI, it's a set of research tools that allow you to create customizable queries on our database, save the results, and share them with others. With the PI, you can:
- Use the Player Season Finder to search through all NBA, ABA, & BAA players' regular season and playoff statistics for performances that match your criteria.
- Use the Player Game Finder to search through NBA players' regular season and playoff game logs (since 1985-86) for games matching your criteria.
- Use the Head-to-Head Finder to search for games in which two selected players played against each other.
- Search for player and team consecutive-game streaks that match your criteria using the Streak Finders.
- Search for team performances that meet your criteria with the Team Season Finder and Team Game Finder.
- Use the Draft Finder to search through every NBA/BAA draft for picks that match your criteria.
- Use the Player Comparison Finder to compare the stats of up to four players through (or in) a given season.
Also, take a look at the Play Index Plus for even more data-searching goodness. The PI+ lets you sift through the play-by-play data of every game since 2001, making it possible to look for specific events, lineup data, and shooting stats (including clutch shots and shot breakdowns by distance).
Best of all, these features are 100% free to use! So go ahead, give them a try, and you'll wonder how you ever got along without them.
3 Comments |
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Features, Play Index
Posted by Justin Kubatko on November 7, 2012
We are now just a little over a week into the 2012-13 NBA season, so I wanted to fill you in on some things that have been happening over at Basketball-Reference.com:
- Daily site updates started on October 31, and so far it looks like there haven't been any major issues. If you notice something, though, please don't hesitate to let us know.
- I have added lineup pages for both players and teams. These pages display net results per 100 possessions for the most-used lineups (based on playing time) for each player/team.
- I have added a league-wide injury report to supplement the injury reports that appear near the top of each team's roster and stats page.
- Each season now has four player stat pages: Totals, Per Game, Per 36 Minutes, and Advanced. In the past there were just pages for basic totals and advanced stats.
- The 2011-12 D-League stats have (finally) been updated with playoff stats, award winners, etc.
- The 2012 WNBA stats should be added sometime in the next week or two.
- Don't forget that we added a referees section in the offseason. These pages will be updated daily during the season.
- Thanks to the efforts of Jeff Kramer, we added a contracts section in the offseason. The contract data will be updated on a regular basis during the season. Keep in mind that there will be some delay between when a transaction takes place and when the database is updated, as Jeff often has to chase down contract details.
Well, that's all for now. Please continue to enjoy and support the site, and as always you're feedback is welcome.
Comments Off |
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com