17th December 2015
The first quarter of the 2015-16 NBA season has been dominated by one team: the Golden State Warriors. At 25-1, they've posted the best start in NBA history, with the longest winning streak to start a season and the most wins by a team through its first 26 games. What's transformed the Warriors from an already great team to, potentially, one of the best ever?
You can point to any number of reasons, but a big one is the rise of their unstoppable small-ball lineup. Though an injury to Harrison Barnes caused them to temporarily shelve the lineup, the Warriors' small-ball group has been one of the major stories of the season and figuring out how to stop it will be the main task of any team hoping to unseat the champs. So let's go inside the NBA's equivalent of the Death Star and witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational lineup.
Read the rest of this entry
Posted in Basketball-Reference.com, Play Index, Statgeekery | Comments Off on Inside the Warriors’ Small-Ball Death Star
17th December 2015
We just wanted to quickly note that we've added the ability to search by day to the Basketball Reference Player Game Finder in the Play Index.
With this addition, you can now run searches such as:
Now that you know that the Mailman always delivered on April Fool's Day, you can go about the rest of your day.
We hope you enjoy this new addition.
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Data, Features, History, Play Index | Comments Off on Search By Day Added to Basketball Reference Play Index
10th December 2015
Thanks to the research of Sean Burrill, we're happy to announce that we now have complete box scores for the 1984 NBA Playoffs, and mostly complete box scores for the 1983 NBA Playoffs. Previously, these box scores were mostly restricted to player scoring and shooting statistics.
Additionally, 1984 Playoff games are now searchable in the Play Index. For instance, here's a list of triple-doubles in the 1984 Playoffs and most 3-pointers made by a team in 1984 Playoff games.
1983 Playoff box scores are also updated, but not searchable in the Play Index because we're missing some statistics from these games (please contact us if you are able to fill in any of these gaps):
Game 2, Boston at Atlanta: three-point attempts, offensive rebounding, turnovers, steals
Game 2, Milwaukee at Boston: offensive rebounding
Game 2, Portland at Los Angeles: offensive rebounding
Game 3, Los Angeles at Portland: offensive rebounding
Game 3, San Antonio at Denver: offensive rebounding
Game 3, Los Angeles at San Antonio: offensive rebounding
Game 5, San Antonio at Los Angeles: offensive rebounding, turnovers
Game 6, Los Angeles at San Antonio: offensive rebounding, turnovers
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Data, History, Play Index, Playoffs | 1 Comment »
28th October 2015
Many of our visitors are interested in information they can use on their fantasy teams. With this in mind, we decided to created a new fantasy index, which you can find here. This index contains links to various tools you can use to win your fantasy leagues. We include scoring for standard leagues, DraftKings & FanDuel.
Here's some of the tools you can access from this new index:
- Sortable lists of the top fantasy players this season
- Find the juiciest matchups with breakdowns of how each defense in the league has fared against quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers and tight ends.
- Identify the best scoring threats by checking out Red Zone passing, receiving and rushing statistics.
- And our newest tool is perhaps the best. We have created weekly matchups pages which will be updated daily for quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers and tight ends. On those pages you can see the average fantasy stats for each player, as well as the averages their opponent for that week has allowed to players at their position. We have also included player snap count data so you can identify which players will have the opportunity to exploit their opponent. The players are then ranked by expected fantasy points for that week based on their averages, their playing time and their opponent's averages allowed. Their latest injury report status is also included. Please note the time stamp we've included on the pages so you know how fresh the injury data is.
- We'd also like to note that we've added targets to our Player Streak Finder tool. Now you can see how rare DeAndre Hopkins' targets streak is.
We hope you enjoy these new tools. As always, please let us know if you have any comments, questions or feedback.
Posted in Announcement, Data, Fantasy, Features, Play Index, Pro-Football-Reference.com | Comments Off on Introducing Our New Fantasy Football Stats Section
16th October 2015
Pro Football Reference has added Fantasy Points and Touches as search criteria in the Player Streak Finder. These additions allow users to search for the most impressive streaks of fantasy dominance and/or high usage since 1960 (the first season for which we have full player game logs for skill positions). We'd like to thank our friend Scott Pianowski for passing along this suggested addition.
The standard Fantasy Points are calculated as:
Passing Yards: 1 point per 25 yards passing
Passing Touchdowns: 4 points
Interceptions: -2 points
Rushing Yards: 1 point per 10 yards
Rushing Touchdowns: 6 points
Receiving Yards: 1 point per 10 yards
Receiving Touchdowns: 6 points
Fumble Recovered for a Touchdown: 6 points
2-Point Conversions: 2 points
Fumbles Lost: -2 points
For DFS players, DraftKings Points and FanDuel Points are also available as sorting options.
Touches are calculated by adding up rush attempts, receptions, kickoff returns & punt returns.
These new additions allow users to get some perspective on the dominant fantasy streak Devonta Freeman is on. Thursday's game was his fourth straight with 25+ Fantasy Points. That makes him the first RB to do that since LaDainian Tomlinson, who had an eight-game streak in 2006.
Or if you search for streaks with 35+ DraftKings Points (which rewards a point per reception), you can see that Freeman has matched a record, becoming just the third player since 1960 with 35+ DraftKings Points in four straight games (and yes, we acknowledge this is an anachronism since DraftKings didn't exist the last time this happened, but this shows just how rare Freeman's performance streak is).
Similarly, Freeman has tied the record for consecutive games with 29+ FanDuel Points.
Finally, with Touches added to the streak finder, you can now search for things like the longest streaks of games with 15+ touches this season.
We hope you enjoy these new features and, as always, please let us know if you have any comments or questions.
Posted in Announcement, Data, Fantasy, Features, Play Index, Pro-Football-Reference.com | Comments Off on Fantasy Points & Touches Added to Player Streak Finder
10th September 2015
The Play Index
is the name we use to refer to PFR's collection of top-notch research tools. Read below for more information on some of the applications we have made available to you.
Search all plays from 1994 to today to find performances that match your criteria. Answer questions like…
Player Season Finder
Search through player season stats spanning from 1920 to today for single seasons or combined seasons that match your criteria. Answer questions like…
The answers to these questions and many, many more are at your fingertips using the Player Season Finder.
Player Game Finder
Search through player game logs spanning from 1960 to today for games that match your criteria. You can find…
With the Player Game Finder, the possibilities are almost endless.
Player Comparison Tool
Select up to six offensive skill position players to compare single season stats, career stats, or a span of years. Compare…
Trade Finder Tool
Find NFL trades from 1994 to now, by team, draft round, draft pick, player position and more. Find…
Player Touchdown Finder
Search through every touchdown scored from 1920 to today for scores that match your criteria. Did you know…
Impress your friends and come up with your own "Did You Know" with a little help from the Player Touchdown Finder.
Team Game Finder
Find team games or seasons matching certain criteria. Did you know…
Player Streak Finder
Find the longest player streaks matching certain criteria. Did you know...
Team Streak Finder
Find the longest team streaks matching certain criteria. Did you know...
Super Bowl Play Finder
Search through every play in Super Bowl History.
Search through every NFL and AFL draft pick.
Find head-to-head results and also find games matching a particular score.
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, Play Index, Pro-Football-Reference.com | 2 Comments »
9th September 2015
With the 2015 NFL season kicking off this week, we thought we'd visit some storylines for this season as a way of introducing some of the research tools you can find on Pro-Football-Reference.com. Follow the hyperlinked historical notes to the queries on our site and see if you can re-create them. If you're wondering about how we did anything, just ask us!
Quarterbacks Chasing History
- Last season, Manning broke Brett Favre's record for career TD passes. In 2015, the future Hall of Famer needs just 2,148 yards to break Favre's career record for passing yardage. Manning has thrown for over 3,500 yards in every season in which he's played a game. In fact, last season he surpassed 2,148 yards by the eighth game of the season.
- Additionally, with 374 completions, Manning can break Favre's all-time record in that category. That race could come down to the wire, as Manning has averaged 370 completions per season in the 16 years in which he's taken the field.
- Another Favre record that Manning will take aim at this season is the all-time record for wins as a starting QB. Favre currently claims that record with 186, but Manning enters 2015 with 179 (in 42 fewer starts).
Adrian Peterson Returns
It's been a year since Peterson last took the field in a 34-6 Week 1 win over the Rams last season. Few fans will be rooting for Peterson in 2015, but he'll likely continue to climb the record books.
Throwing the football has never been more popular, and it has probably never been easier. Go ahead and check this list of the players with most receiving yards per game in NFL history. That right, the top five are all active players (or at least kind of active in the case of Josh Gordon). And this doesn't even include players like Odell Beckham, Jr. who don't yet have enough games played to qualify.
The Patriots posted their 12th straight double-digit win season in 2014. That's the 2nd-longest such streak in NFL history. Only the 49ers (from 1983-98) have posted a longer streak. If head coach Bill Belichick can get his team to repeat, he could become the first head coach to win five Super Bowls.
New Extra Point Rules
If you send your kicking team out for extra points, you'll now have to snap the ball from the 15, rather than 2. Curious how this impacts strategy? Check out our Game Player Finder to find all FGAs with the LOS at the 15 over the last 5 seasons. You can also use this tool to search for 2-point conversion tries over the same span. Which approach is the better bet?
Track History All Season Long
Bookmark our NFL Milestone Watch page and check every week for which records might fall.
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, History, Play Index, Pro-Football-Reference.com | Comments Off on 2015 NFL Storylines
3rd September 2015
With the 2015 college football season upon us, just a few reminders on where to find info for this season:
- The full 2015 FBS schedule can be found here. This page also contains links to game previews, which will turn into box scores as the games are completed.
- Individual school schedules are available on that school's season page, which is accessible from this index. These pages will also track team/player statistics and contain links to box scores and previews. We also display an injury report for injuries and suspensions that will appear at the top of the team pages.
- If you'd just like to see box scores for a given day, they are available here.
- Any information on the 2015 season can be accessed from the Season Summary page. This page features a comparison of the conferences, an AP Poll summary and also national statistical leaders. Furthermore, this page provides navigation to standings, ratings and every AP Poll (and CFB Playoff standings once they begin their release). You can also access a larger selection of national statistical leaders.
- For deeper dives into our statistical offerings, we recommend utilizing our Play Index. This is a series of tools offering unique access to our database, which allows users to create custom leaderboards. For instance, the most TD passes in a game since 2000 or the most games in a season with 4+ TD passes since 2000, which can be found via the Player Game Finder. The School Game Finder can tell you things like the most bowl wins since 2000 or most points in a conference championship game since 2000. The School Streak Finder can give you the longest losing streaks in major bowl games since 1869 or the most consecutive 40-point games. Finally, the Rivalry Finder will provide you with a detailed series history between any two schools you choose.
If you have any questions about where to find something or if you encounter any issues, please let us know here.
Posted in Announcement, CFB at Sports Reference, Data, Features, Play Index | Comments Off on Find 2015 College Football Stats
3rd August 2015
Last year we rolled out many new play-by-play based statistics and features to player pages on Hockey-Reference. A Team Advanced Stats Finder was created to allow users to sort through team-level statistics. We're now thrilled to announce a player stat companion to this: The Player Advanced Stats Finder.
This tool works like the others in our Play Index, allowing users to create custom queries back to 2007-08 by using the below search form:
As you can see, the tool allows for single-season search, combined season search or total season search. Additionally, there are several filters and criteria that can be applied to your search, as well as several different "sort by" options for your report. To give you a better idea of what the tool is capable, let's fire it up and show you some sample searches:
Of course, these are just a few quick examples. Some other statistics in a variety of situations that are now searchable/sortable are Fenwick, PDO, blocks, offensive/defensive zone start % and many more. We encourage you to play around with this new tool and let us know what you think!
And if you're confused about what any of these statistics mean, don't forget to check out our updated glossary!
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, Hockey-Reference.com, Play Index | 1 Comment »
19th June 2015
We're excited to introduce a couple of fantastic enhancements to the Hockey Reference Player Game Finder. This tool allows you to search through game-level player stats for every NHL game since 1987-88.
The huge addition is the option to search by cumulative games, which allows you to search for statistics over a specific span of games. Use this option by selecting "Search for Cumulative Games" in the yellow section directly below "Search Form." This tool opens up capabilities to do informative searches never before possible on Hockey Reference. Here are some examples to give you the gist:
You'll also notice that we've added an option to search for games on a player's birthday. So you can now search for things like birthday Hat Tricks.
Or you can even combine these new features and find the players with the most career birthday goals or the most career playoff birthday goals.
Posted in Announcement, Data, Features, Hockey-Reference.com, Play Index | 2 Comments »