18th January 2016
If you're among the NHL fans lamenting the upcoming shuttering of War on Ice, we just wanted to remind you of the variety of advanced hockey stats we offer on Hockey Reference. While we're perhaps best known as a repository for historical statistics, we have beefed up our analytics in the last few years. In fact, if you click here, you can conveniently see a menu of our analytics offerings. These include:
- The Team Advanced Stats Finder. You can use this tool to search for Play-By-Played based team stats since 2007-08 (like best single-season PDO since 2007-08).
- The Player Advanced Stats Finder. This one is much like the Team Advanced Stats Finder, but focuses on individuals. It also goes back to 2007-08 and allows for search like best Corsi For % in a season.
- Team Advanced Stats Tables. See how every player on a team stacks up in various advanced statistics.
- Team Skater Time on Ice Tables. See how every skater on a team fares (and how much ice time they see) in even strength, power player and short-handed situations.
- Advanced Player Stats Pages. These are available on all player pages since 2007-08 via the "advanced stats" tab on any player's main stats table. Here is Alex Ovechkin's page, for instance. The three tables of information, drawn from analysis of play-by-play, can be viewed for six different situations. It defaults to all situations, but you can also check out even strength, power play, short-handed, 5-on-5, 5-on-5 close and 5-on-5 tied. If you see any numbers that stand out, you can always query them in the Player Advanced Stats Finder to see how they compare to other players.
- Advanced Box Scores. Our boxes have complete advanced stats information going back to 2007-08, including visual shot location charts.
- Utilizing PBP data and shot location data, we have also introduced the metric Expected +/-
- League-wide Player Advanced Stats Table (available back to 2007-08).
- League-wide Player Time-on-Ice Details Table (available back to 2007-08).