2nd November 2012
Looking for a list of 2012-13 MLB Free Agents this offseason? Go to this page:
2012-2013 Free Agents with Statistics
There you'll find a table like this (except with even more stats):
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, expire120d, Features | 2 Comments »
2nd November 2012
Spending a lazy Friday morning at work? No fear, we've put a couple of new features up on the Team Game Finder tool.
First off is the addition of Vegas betting lines (from 1978 to now) to the additional search criteria selector, with which you can find games in the past 5 years in which a team was favored by more than 10 points or 17+ point underdogs in the last 30 years. We also have Over/Under lines, with which you can find all Patriots games since 2002 with an O/U greater than 50.
Next, we've added game time and time zone selectors to the filter criteria, with which you can find that the Bengals have a .700 record since 2002 in games played at 4pm in the Eastern time zone or that the Green Bay Packers have the best record in the last 15 years in road games on the West Coast.
Posted in Features, Pro-Football-Reference.com | 1 Comment »
2nd November 2012
Many of you may have noticed that we slightly tweaked our front-page standings table for the 2012-13 season. Now it looks like this:
What do F, C, and $ mean?
Clicking "F" next to the team abbreviation brings up the team's Franchise Page, which contains a year-by-year summary of the team's entire history.
Clicking "C" will call up the Clubhouse Page for each team. Team clubhouse pages contain a snapshot of where the team is and how they're playing right now, with a calendar-style schedule, team four factors & leaders, and a table of player stats over the team's last 10 games.
Finally, "$" takes you to the team's Contracts Page. These pages list the team's payroll for the current season and the next four seasons, plus descriptions regarding the terms of every player's contract.
We hope these new links will make it even easier for you to navigate our site and get the info you need this season.
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Features | 5 Comments »
23rd October 2012
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, Play Index | Comments Off on PI Team Pitching Streak Finder
16th October 2012
Just a quick reminder to check out the Leaders section of the site, where you'll find:
We also have all-time Super Bowl leaderboards here.
Posted in Announcement, Features, General, Pro-Football-Reference.com | Comments Off on PFR Leaders Section
11th October 2012
Here's a reminder that if the stats you see on a player's main page aren't enough, you can click the "More Stats" link next to his primary batting table. This will bring up an advanced batting stats page, which contains not only the conventional batting & player value tables you see on the main page, but also:
- Ratio Batting - Generally, metrics that come as a percentage of plate appearances (or some other opportunity stat). Examples: HR%, BB%, SO%, GB/FB, Line Drive %
- Win Probability - Stats pertaining to Win Probability. Examples: Win Probability Added (WPA), Leverage Index
- Baserunning & Misc. Stats - Stats that deal w/ baserunning. Examples: Stolen base opportunities, extra bases taken, going from 1st to 3rd on a single, reaching on error
- Situational Hitting - Hitting stats in important situations. Examples: Pinch hitting, productive outs, advancing runners
- Pitch Summary Batting - Hitting stats from the pitch-by-pitch data. Examples: Pitches seen/PA, strikes taken, 1st pitches swung at, 2-0 counts seen
- Cumulative Batting - Career conventional stat totals through every season of a player's career.
- Neutralized Batting - Career stats transported to the year/league/park context of your choice (via this system)
Many people have never noticed the "More Stats" pages, so hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised to find even more free stats on a player's Baseball-Reference page.
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Data, Features | 4 Comments »
10th October 2012
With all of the controversy over the role of Wins Above Replacement (WAR) in the A.L. MVP debate, now might be a good time to remind everyone about our WAR 2.1 guide:
- Baseball-Reference.com WAR Explained - This explains the basics of WAR, the philosophy behind the stat, and some of the changes we made to the formula this past spring.
- Weighted Runs Above Average (wRAA) Explained - This describes how wRAA, the core hitting stat of WAR, is computed.
- Position Player WAR Calculations and Details - This explains how we turn wRAA, Baserunning & Double-Play Runs, Fielding Runs, Positional Adjustment Runs, and Replacement level Runs into WAR for position-players.
- Pitcher WAR Calculations and Details - This explains how we take a pitcher's runs allowed & innings pitched, and turn it into WAR.
- Converting Runs to Wins - This further describes the process by which Runs Above Replacement (for both pitchers and position players) are converted into Wins Above Replacement.
- WAR Comparison Chart - This chart shows the differences between the WAR found here at Baseball-Reference and those from a variety of other sources, including FanGraphs & Baseball Prospectus.
- WAR Data Downloads - If you want to download the raw WAR data yourself and play around with it, you can also get the Batting and Pitching data from our site.
Many of the questions we typically get about WAR can be answered by reading the guide linked above.
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, WAR | 36 Comments »
5th October 2012
Over the last month or so I have made a number of additions and tweaks to Basketball-Reference.com:
- We now have partial box scores for both the 1982-83 and 1983-84 seasons.
- Related to the above, we now have partial player game logs and splits for both the 1982-83 and 1983-84 seasons. You may have also noticed that the player's biographical information now appears at the top of both the game logs and splits.
- On the main player pages, we have split the playoff statistics into four separate tables: totals, per game, per 36 minutes, and advanced.
- Also on the player pages, the game logs, splits, shooting, and finder links have been moved to the navigation menu that "sticks" to the top of the page as you scroll down. There is also a news link on the navigation menu that leads to an archive of player news. (Note: If you would like to see your blog posts here, please read about how you can add your blog content to our newsfeeds.)
- An improved navigation menu has been added to the leader pages. This will allow you to quickly switch between season, career, active, yearly, progressive, yearly, and top 10 pages for both the regular season and playoffs for a particular statistic. You can also easily switch statistics by hovering your mouse over the Leader & Records [+] tab and choosing a new statistic.
- In the playoffs section, partial composite box scores have been added for the 1983 and 1984 playoff series.
- The All-Star Game section has a new navigation bar on each page. This will allow you to quickly move from box scores to voting results to contest results. We have also added pages with single game and career leaders for the NBA All-Star Game.
- Although this was announced at the end of August, don't forget that we now have a referees section with referee data for the 1988-89 through 2011-12 seasons.
OK, I think that covers it. As always, please send us your feedback if you have any comments or questions about the site.
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Features | 2 Comments »
5th October 2012
199 2012 Walk-Off PA's
Previously, you could sort of get walk-off plays, but you would also get plays where the game-ended by the pitching team making an out. I've now added a check to make sure that the batting team has won the game. So our Event Finder now lists, go-ahead, game-ending and walkoff all separately.
Note that this will not include the odd baserunning play like a walk-off passed ball, wild pitch, SB, etc.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, Play Index | 2 Comments »
5th October 2012
With the playoffs starting today, here's a rundown of the Play Index tools you can use to run playoff-themed searches...
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, Play Index | 7 Comments »