4th June 2013
Here's a page you may not know about, because even I didn't know it existed until Sean pointed it out this morning:
2013 Major League Baseball Recent Transactions & Injuries
Simply put, it contains a list of recent transactions, as well as a report on who's currently injured (i.e., questionable for tonight's game or on the disabled list).
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, Tips and Tricks | Comments Off on Injury Report and Recent Transactions
3rd June 2013
Today, we added a small new dataset to the site's Awards Section: All-Decade Teams. We have the official All-Decade Teams from the Pro Football Hall of Fame (and, in the case of the AFL, the AFL Hall of Fame) going back to the 1920s:
We also assembled our own Pro-Football-Reference All-Decade teams using Approximate Value, and list those as well:
Posted in Announcement, CFB at Sports Reference, Features, History, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Trivia | 4 Comments »
30th May 2013
The start of June is the perfect time to check out the Baseball-Reference Play Index if you haven't already signed up. What's the Play Index? It's a set of research tools that allow you to create customizable queries on our database, save the results, and share them with others. Using the PI, you can:
- Search full-season or multi-year totals to find your own custom leaderboards - Look at the entire history of baseball from 1871-2012 with every year, team, and position available, or filter the results in a vast number of ways: by specific years, by age, by first six seasons or last ten seasons, by American League only, by Cubs only, by switch-hitters, by catchers, by outfielder or infielder, by year of debut, but active or retired, by Hall of Famer, by height and weight, by living or deceased, or by a range of common statistical categories. Then sort the results by any common statistic, by the teams with the most players matching that category, by players with the most seasons matching that category, or by most recent, youngest, oldest, final year, or year of debut, and others.
- Search player game totals - Filtering on any of a dozen or more choices, search for games on a single player level, or on any batter from 1916-2012, or on any pitcher. The same can be done for Team Batting or Team Pitching Totals.
- Search player games looking for the most consecutive games matching a particular set of criteria - This can be done either on a single player level or on any batter in the last 97 years or on any pitcher. The same can be done for Team Batting or Team Pitching Streaks.
- Search the records of a specific player - Output a detailed summary and play-by-play list of all events of a specific type from a single year or an entire career. For example, you can see all of Harmon Killebrew's triples or even his outs to the second baseman.
- Search Batter vs. Pitcher Matchups - This tool presents a complete sortable list of batter or pitcher with totals for every opponent they faced by career or by year. Clicking on the player's name will lead you to a detailed output of their head-to-head plate appearances.
- ...And more!
Personal Subscriptions to the Play Index still cost just $36 for a year, $6 for a month, or $2 for 24 hours. Subscriptions may only be used by a single user, and there are discounts for users sponsoring at least $35 in pages.
Organizational Subscriptions can be set up for either an unlimited number of users ($600/year), or for up to five users ($125/year).
There are Two Steps to Subscribe to the Play Index:
- Login to or create a Sports-Reference.com account (the same account used to sponsor pages).
- Already logged in (or just created an account)? Go to our subscription page to sign up.
Our Always-Available Free Trial: Non-subscribers can use the PI's features as much as you like. However, your outputs will be restricted to a limited number of results.
The Play Index comes with a money back guarantee. We will gladly return the unused portion of any Play Index Subscription should you be dissatisfied with the Play Index.
So go ahead, give the Play Index a try -- we're confident that once you start using it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, Play Index | 1 Comment »
22nd May 2013
The Baseball-Reference Bullpen: Baseball's collaborative encyclopedia
Here's a reminder for everyone to check out the B-R Bullpen Wiki, the collaborative baseball encyclopedia that anyone can edit. We have 65,285 articles -- and counting -- thanks to users just like you, and we hope to add many more as we collect and organize as much baseball knowledge as possible. To get you started, here are some links on the project:
Or you could just go to a Random Page.
Give it a try, explore a little, and maybe even take a shot at editing a page. There's a lot of baseball knowledge out there just waiting to be added to these pages!
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features | 2 Comments »
20th May 2013
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Features, History | Comments Off on BBR Player Similarity Scores
17th May 2013
Ever want to know who the active leader is in a given stat? Go to Leaders, find the stat you want, and click the Active link.
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features, HowTo, Leaders | Comments Off on Active Leaderboards
16th May 2013
Here's a cool feature you may not have seen, since we added them before the season:
2013 MLB Team-by-Team Starting Lineups
2013 MLB Team-by-Team Pitching Staffs
Those links take you to pages with a master table of every team's most frequent starters at each position and a master table of every team's most common pitchers (arranged into staffs). It's a good way to see who the regular players are for the entire league in one glance, as well as to compare the Wins Above Replacement each team's been getting from each position. Check it out!
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Features | Comments Off on Team Starting Lineup & Pitching Staff Charts
15th May 2013
The Play Index
is the name we use to refer to PFR's collection of top-notch research tools. Read below for more information on some of the applications we have made available to you, and also check out our blog posts about the Play Index
. As always, if you have any suggestions or corrections please fill out our feedback form
Game Play Finder
Search all plays from 2000 to today to find performances that match your criteria. Answer questions like…
Player Season Finder
Search through player season stats spanning from 1920 to today for single seasons or combined seasons that match your criteria. Answer questions like…
The answers to these questions and many, many more are at your fingertips using the Player Season Finder.
Player Game Finder
Search through player game logs spanning from 1960 to today for games that match your criteria. You can find…
With the Player Game Finder, the possibilities are almost endless.
Player Touchdown Finder
Search through every touchdown scored from 1940 to today for scores that match your criteria. Did you know…
Impress your friends and come up with your own "Did You Know" with a little help from the Player Touchdown Finder.
Team Game Finder
Find team games or seasons matching certain criteria. Did you know…
Super Bowl Play Finder
Search through every play in Super Bowl History.
Search through every NFL and AFL draft pick.
Boxscore Search Tools
Find head-to-head results and also find games matching a particular score.
Posted in Announcement, CFB at Sports Reference, Features, HowTo, Play Index, Pro-Football-Reference.com | Comments Off on Search Our Pro Football Data Using the P-F-R Play Index
14th May 2013
To see how any player has performed in every 2013 playoff game he's played, check out his playoff gamelogs! Go to a player's page, select 2012-13 from the gamelogs dropdown, and scroll down to the playoff table.
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Features | Comments Off on Player Playoff Gamelogs