11th February 2013
Just a reminder to vote on the greatest players in NHL history using the Hockey-Reference Elo Player Rater. You can read the fine details of the system here or just view the complete ratings here, and be sure to send us some feedback if you have any comments or questions.
Posted in Announcement, Elo Rater, Hockey-Reference.com | 1 Comment »
5th February 2013
Using the NFL's scheduling formula combined with the final records of everyone from 2012, it's possible to determine who will be playing who in 2013 -- and more. Follow the "Schedules" links from your team's franchise page and we'll list at least fourteen games of the season for the next four years, and all 16 for the upcoming season (including last year's won-loss and total opponent winning percentage). Unfortunately, the "when" for these games will have to wait until the NFL officially releases its schedule in April, but hopefully this can tide you over till then.
Posted in Announcement, Pro-Football-Reference.com | 2 Comments »
1st February 2013
Earlier this week, we posted about out Super Bowl Squares app, which will calculate the squares that give you the best odds of winning if you're in a contest on Sunday. Since then, we had a problem with the app in the Android marketplace, but you can go here for a free online version of the app; we also still offer the app in the iTunes Store.
Posted in Announcement, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Super Bowl | 1 Comment »
31st January 2013
If you haven't seen the Super Bowl Section of our site yet, you should head over and check it out right now, because I'm sure you're going to refer to it often in the next few days. Here are some of the features you'll find once you get there:
And, in my opinion, maybe coolest of all is the Super Bowl Play Finder tool. It's similar to the Play Index Touchdown Finder Tool, but instead of being limited to just TDs, it can actually search through every play from scrimmage in Super Bowl history to find events matching your criteria. Want to know the longest non-scoring plays in the first 10 Super Bowls? We can find that. Or the longest 3rd-down passes that didn't result in a 1st down? We have that, too. Or maybe even the longest 4th-quarter runs against the 49ers in a SB? You get the picture. Play around with it for long enough, and you'll unearth all kinds of crazy Super Bowl records.
So go ahead and try the Super Bowl Section right now -- it's free, easy to use, and best of all, with it you'll be able to dominate anyone who challenges you in Super Bowl trivia this weekend.
Posted in Announcement, Features, Pro-Football-Reference.com | 4 Comments »
31st January 2013
We've added team retired numbers to all team franchise encyclopedias for those teams who have retired numbers. While maybe not surprising that Jacksonville and Baltimore have no retired numbers (though one imagines 52 is going to show up on that Baltimore page before too long), did you know that neither Dallas nor Oakland have any numbers retired?
Posted in Announcement, Pro-Football-Reference.com | 6 Comments »
30th January 2013
Here is a summary of some recent additions to Basketbal-Reference.com:
- Team depth charts have been added for all NBA & ABA teams from 1973-74 to the present. Assigning positions is more art than science, so we've done the best we could with players who did not have an obvious fit. The positions have been "proofed" back to the 1973-74 season, meaning that Neil and I have gone though the data and made sure that each position for each team has no less than 8 percent of the team's total minutes and no more than 32 percent of the team's total minutes. We are working on other seasons and will add more depth charts as we go.
- A page summarizing Player of the Week award winners has been added to the Awards section. Player of the Week winners have also been added to the season summary pages as well as the player pages.
- A Team Rivalry Finder has been added to the Play Index. This tool will summarize all regular season and/or playoff matchups between two selected franchises.
- The 2012 WNBA stats have finally been added to the WNBA section. My apologies for taking so long to get these stats on the site.
- The 2013 NBA All-Star Game voting results now appear in the All-Star Game section. Also, All-Star Game rosters appear on the 2012-13 NBA season summary page.
That's all for now. Please let us know if you have any comments or questions.
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com | 11 Comments »
28th January 2013
With the big game quickly approaching, our Super Bowl Squares mobile app is now available for FREE at the iTunes store
and the Android Marketplace.
If you're at a Super Bowl party in three weeks and there's a game of squares set up, this app will tell you which squares have the best chance of winning based on game data from 1994-2010. Also, if you're new to the game, there's a page devoted to basic rules that will help you navigate your first SB squares experience.
For more information about its features, as well as links to posts about Super Bowl squares theory, click here.
Posted in Announcement, Pro-Football-Reference.com | 3 Comments »
28th January 2013
We have added current injury status to each current team page (for instance, the 2013 Flyers page) as well as an full list of current NHL injuries.
Posted in Announcement, Hockey-Reference.com | Comments Off on Injuries added to team pages
25th January 2013
2012 Major League Baseball Baserunning/Misc.
To the baserunning pages for teams, players, leagues (currently rebuilding non-league pages), I've added columns for OOB1, OOB2, OOB3, OOBHm or rather outs on base at 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Home.
See the screenshot below for the location of this data. It's available in the league nav bar which is on any of league yearly pages just below the top ad.
Read the rest of this entry
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Uncategorized | Comments Off on Outs on Bases by Base