Archive for the 'Announcement' Category
Posted by Neil on June 21, 2013
Sponsoring a page is fun, fast, and easy way to support what we're doing here at Baseball-Reference. With a sponsorship, you can:
- Show your support for your favorite player or team.
- Drum up traffic for your own site & draw in fans with a common interest.
- Get some well-deserved recognition for your support of B-R.
- Make your voice heard by the tens of thousands of people who visit Baseball-Reference every day.
Here's all you have to do to get involved:
- Create a membership account.
- Find the page(s) you'd like to support, and click "sponsor" (available pages).
- If the page you want is already sponsored, click "Alert Me!" to be informed when the current sponsorship expires.
- Follow the instructions to create your message and make your payment.
- Your message and links will be visible on the page after we approve them (usually in less than 24 hours).
And who knows, if you're clever enough, your message might end up on lists like these (or podcasts like this).
Comments Off on Support Baseball-Reference.com, Sponsor a Page |
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Sponsors
Posted by admin on June 21, 2013
The below article lamenting the loss of the fake to third, throw to first pitcher gambit caught my eye back in Feb, so I made a note to check back in June on whether it mattered. It looks like it has. Below are the SB_attempts per 1000 (this is SB+CS) when runners are on first and third. The numbers have actually gone up a bit this year and then SB_success rate which I computed as (SB + Def Indiff + Adv on Pickoff error)/(SB+CS+DefIndiff+Pickoffs + pickoff errors). Essentially advances over attempts to advance to put out the runner.
BBTF's Newsblog Discussion :: Morosi: Showalter balks at new pickoff rule.
| year_game | outs | count(*) | SB_att_per_1000 | SB_success_perc |
| 2010 | 0 | 1004 | 30.8765 | 82 |
| 2011 | 0 | 941 | 41.4453 | 88 |
| 2012 | 0 | 950 | 43.1579 | 85 |
| 2013 | 0 | 429 | 51.2821 | 91 |
| 2010 | 1 | 2158 | 42.6321 | 77 |
| 2011 | 1 | 2241 | 52.6551 | 78 |
| 2012 | 1 | 2126 | 41.8627 | 73 |
| 2013 | 1 | 875 | 37.7143 | 76 |
| 2010 | 2 | 2991 | 65.8643 | 89 |
| 2011 | 2 | 2910 | 80.4124 | 87 |
| 2012 | 2 | 2950 | 83.0508 | 86 |
| 2013 | 2 | 1276 | 86.9906 | 93 |
11 Comments |
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com
Posted by Neil on June 14, 2013
Today, we added a new feature to our popular Approximate Value metric on the site -- AV totals for kickers and punters. (Don't worry, we've warned Doug Drinen, and he hasn't suffered any adverse health side-effects that we know of.)
The methodology is described in tortuous detail on the AV formula page, but we basically looked at salary data to calibrate kicker and punter AV against our existing AV data, and used some simple metrics (kicking points added above average using distance data; punting gross yards per attempt w/ an adjustment for blocks) to measure kicking/punting performance. The best career AVs in each category are as follows:
We're still working out some AV kinks (particularly in terms of All-Pro bonuses) with certain players who played both kicker/punter and another position -- think Lou Groza -- but for the most part we're happy with the results, and we thought it was time special-teamers got their AV due.
5 Comments |
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Features, History, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Statgeekery
Posted by Neil on June 10, 2013
It's the Finals, so that means it's time for a reminder to check out the Basketball-Reference Play Index. In case you don't already know about the PI, it's a set of research tools that allow you to create customizable queries on our database, save the results, and share them with others. With the PI, you can:
- Use the Player Season Finder to search through all NBA, ABA, & BAA players' regular season and playoff statistics for performances that match your criteria.
- Use the Player Game Finder to search through NBA players' regular season and playoff game logs (since 1985-86) for games matching your criteria.
- Use the Head-to-Head Finder to search for games in which two selected players played against each other.
- Search for player and team consecutive-game streaks that match your criteria using the Streak Finders.
- Search for team performances that meet your criteria with the Team Season Finder and Team Game Finder.
- Use the Draft Finder to search through every NBA/BAA draft for picks that match your criteria.
- Use the Player Comparison Finder to compare the stats of up to four players through (or in) a given season.
Also, take a look at the Play Index Plus for even more data-searching goodness. The PI+ lets you sift through the play-by-play data of every game since 2001, making it possible to look for specific events, lineup data, and shooting stats (including clutch shots and shot breakdowns by distance).
Best of all, these features are 100% free to use! So go ahead, give them a try, and you'll wonder how you ever got along without them.
Comments Off on Search Our Stats Using the Play Index |
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, CBB at Sports Reference, Features, History, Play Index
Posted by Neil on June 5, 2013
With Wins Above Replacement (WAR) gaining more prominence since last season, it's a good time to remind everyone about our WAR 2.2 guide:
- Baseball-Reference.com WAR Explained - This explains the basics of WAR, the philosophy behind the stat, and some of the changes we made to the formula the past few years.
- Weighted Runs Above Average (wRAA) Explained - This describes how wRAA, the core hitting stat of WAR, is computed.
- Position Player WAR Calculations and Details - This explains how we turn wRAA, Baserunning & Double-Play Runs, Fielding Runs, Positional Adjustment Runs, and Replacement level Runs into WAR for position-players.
- Pitcher WAR Calculations and Details - This explains how we take a pitcher's runs allowed & innings pitched, and turn it into WAR.
- Converting Runs to Wins - This further describes the process by which Runs Above Replacement (for both pitchers and position players) are converted into Wins Above Replacement.
- WAR Comparison Chart - This chart shows the differences between the WAR found here at Baseball-Reference and those from a variety of other sources, including FanGraphs & Baseball Prospectus.
- WAR Data Downloads - If you want to download the raw WAR data yourself and play around with it, you can also get the Batting and Pitching data from our site.
Many of the questions we typically get about WAR can be answered by reading the guide linked above.
8 Comments |
Posted in Advanced Stats, Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Data, FAQ, Features, Stat Questions, Tips and Tricks, WAR