Archive for September, 2012
Posted by admin on September 17, 2012
First, let me say the buck stops here and we apologize for the very annoying ads that have been running on some parts of the site over the last 4-5 days. The pages load and then a minute or two later you are blasted with audio that can't be muted. Very annoying. We've taken all of the steps we can to get them taken down short of foregoing all ad revenue. If you want to understand why this happens, please continue reading.
Read the rest of this entry »
19 Comments |
Posted in Announcement, Baseball-Reference.com, Basketball-Reference.com, CBB at Sports Reference, CFB at Sports Reference, expire10d, expire7d, Hockey-Reference.com, Olympics at S-R, Pro-Football-Reference.com
Posted by Neil on September 16, 2012
The Play Index
is the name we use to refer to PFR's collection of top-notch research tools. Read below for more information on some of the applications we have made available to you, and also check out our blog posts about the Play Index
. As always, if you have any suggestions or corrections please fill out our feedback form
Game Play Finder
Search all plays from 2000 to today to find performances that match your criteria. Answer questions like…
Player Season Finder
Search through player season stats spanning from 1920 to today for single seasons or combined seasons that match your criteria. Answer questions like…
The answers to these questions and many, many more are at your fingertips using the Player Season Finder.
Player Game Finder
Search through player game logs spanning from 1960 to today for games that match your criteria. You can find…
With the Player Game Finder, the possibilities are almost endless.
Player Touchdown Finder
Search through every touchdown scored from 1940 to today for scores that match your criteria. Did you know…
Impress your friends and come up with your own "Did You Know" with a little help from the Player Touchdown Finder.
Team Game Finder
Find team games or seasons matching certain criteria. Did you know…
Super Bowl Play Finder
Search through every play in Super Bowl History.
Search through every NFL and AFL draft pick.
Boxscore Search Tools
Find head-to-head results and also find games matching a particular score.
3 Comments |
Posted in Announcement, Features, Play Index, Pro-Football-Reference.com
Posted by Neil on September 15, 2012
The Play Index
is the name we use to refer to SR/College Football's collection of top-notch research tools. Read below for more information on some of the applications we have made available to you. As always, if you have any suggestions or corrections, please fill out our feedback form
Player Game Finder
Search through player game logs spanning from 2000 to today for games that match your criteria. For example, you can find…
School Game Finder
Search through school game logs spanning from 2000 to today for games that match your criteria. For example, you can find…
School Streak Finder
Search through school game logs spanning from 1869 to today for streaks that match your criteria. For example, you can find…
Find all of the matchups between your favorite school and their biggest rival. For example, find matchups between…
Comments Off |
Posted in Announcement, CFB at Sports Reference, Features, Play Index
Posted by admin on September 14, 2012
BBR has been moved from it's old server (called mikan internally at s-r hq) and now is running on a new server (named lebron, don't blame me, it was Neil's turn to name the new machine). This is a much better machine with more RAM and CPU's, so things should now run much faster and more smoothly than they have in the past. Please let us know if you come across any quirks or problems.
One benefit of this is that CFB, CBB and Olympics sites no longer have to share a server with basketball, hockey and football, so they should see their performance improve as well.
Wayne Gretzky and Sidney Crosby
1 Comment |
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, CBB at Sports Reference, CFB at Sports Reference, expire10d, Olympics at S-R
Posted by Neil on September 14, 2012
With the season about a month and a half away, it's time for a reminder to check out the Basketball-Reference Play Index. In case you don't already know about the PI, it's a set of research tools that allow you to create customizable queries on our database, save the results, and share them with others. With the PI, you can:
- Use the Player Season Finder to search through all NBA, ABA, & BAA players' regular season and playoff statistics for performances that match your criteria.
- Use the Player Game Finder to search through NBA players' regular season and playoff game logs (since 1985-86) for games matching your criteria.
- Use the Head-to-Head Finder to search for games in which two selected players played against each other.
- Search for player and team consecutive-game streaks that match your criteria using the Streak Finders.
- Search for team performances that meet your criteria with the Team Season Finder and Team Game Finder.
- Use the Draft Finder to search through every NBA/BAA draft for picks that match your criteria.
- Use the Player Comparison Finder to compare the stats of up to four players through (or in) a given season.
Also, take a look at the Play Index Plus for even more data-searching goodness. The PI+ lets you sift through the play-by-play data of every game since 2001, making it possible to look for specific events, lineup data, and shooting stats (including clutch shots and shot breakdowns by distance).
Best of all, these features are 100% free to use! So go ahead, give them a try, and you'll wonder how you ever got along without them.
Comments Off |
Posted in Announcement, Basketball-Reference.com, Play Index
Posted by Neil on September 10, 2012
If you've spent a lot of time at Pro-Football Reference, you've probably seen the "SHARE" command in red text above a table of stats... but maybe you didn't know what that did, or have forgotten how to use it. No worries -- here's a quick rundown of the features you can access by clicking "SHARE":
- Customize rows & columns - Sharing lets you delete certain rows/columns that you don't want to include in your table. Just click the round 'x' button to delete a specific row/column, or the arrow 'x' to get rid of everything to the right (columns) or directly below (rows) the row/column in question.
- Export as an HTML table - Clicking 'html
' gives you code to embed the table onto your site (you can even choose to keep S-R's inline style formatting).
- Get a link - Choosing Link URL creates an SR tiny URL specifically for the table you created, which can easily be sent to others via twitter or directly linked at your blog.
- Export as bbcode - This option lets you copy-and-paste the table into most bulletin board formats.
- Export as an iframe - For those who prefer to embed the table within an inline frame.
- Export into preformatted text or CSV
- Convert table to Wiki formatting - This will turn the table into a format suitable for sites like Wikipedia.
3 Comments |
Posted in Announcement, Features, HowTo, Pro-Football-Reference.com